Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
radio issues....
i'm having problem with static on the radio, I've cleaned and spread the contacts no luck, with the radio vol. fairly low the static is loud, seams to be more sensitive to RPM than to bumps . I'll keep trying to find the gremlin, If all else fails I'd like to replace the radio with something ipod compatable. Has anybody had luck stuffing an after market unit into the space available? is anything weather proof, or shock resistant? any input would be helpful. Dan
#1 05-19-2012, 03:03 PM,
this is what i use and works well not ipod compatible but waterproof and small i have it mounted next to left grip http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Waterproof-M...544wt_1344 i asked my seller for a buy it now price without speakers and they had no problem helpping me out with that hooked into factory speakers and antenna
[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#2 05-19-2012, 08:48 PM,
I bought a Sena Bluetooth intercomm so I went out and picked up a new radio that will interface with my intercom system (when it comes in Tuesday) - installed the radio using a Marine radio enclosure - worked well but they only had one and that was white so I bought it and painted it (should have waited for the black one)
nice thing is this new radio has a remote and is very clear even with my old speakers. When the Sena Device comes in I will not need the speakers anymore so I did not upgrade them

Also because the Marine weatherproof unit would not fit in the middle where radios generally go I mounted it in the right side pocket - I was concerned the weather would damage this Pioneer unit.

Attached Files
.jpg   Radio Install 003.JPG (Size: 129.18 KB / Downloads: 405)
.jpg   Radio Install 002.JPG (Size: 130.66 KB / Downloads: 404)
.jpg   Radio Install 001.JPG (Size: 126.36 KB / Downloads: 403)
#3 05-19-2012, 09:06 PM,
update.....The PO of my 86 Aspy stuck his left knee into the panel where the AVC and the tone control knobs were located, I fabricated a new panel out of brushed aluminum, (looks real nice) but did not reinstall the AVC, unit, instead I preset the AVC + tone control and set it inside that compartment, turns out when that unit touched a ground ....static, I checked for stray volts... none. so I wrapped the unit in bubble pac and elect. tape, good to go. I'm pretty sure that unit is isolated from ground when it' s original.

now to find more info about an FM modulator for an IPOD.... any thoughts or opinions ??

thank to all that posted a reply,
Drive safe,
Dan
#4 05-20-2012, 07:07 AM,
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-FM100A-Modulator-Isolation-Transformer/dp/B0001KO7UI">http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-FM100A-M ... B0001KO7UI</a><!-- m -->

What I use with my GPS mp3 player
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 05-20-2012, 07:25 AM,
Tricky, is the install complicated ? this looks like the way i'm going, should I plan a couple hours for this, or a weekend ??

Thanks a million,
Dan
#6 05-20-2012, 07:48 AM,
Not difficult.

It splices in between the antenna (radio) not CB Powered by acc+

Select the station (you have two options) on the unit.

Set your Radio to that station.

With this unit you need to buy an adapter to go from the Ipod to phono L+R

There is another unit <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MOD02-Universal-Modulator-Satellite/dp/B001QBG614/ref=pd_cp_e_0">http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MOD02- ... =pd_cp_e_0</a><!-- m -->

a little cheaper, I was told it had the adapter but I don't know.

#7 05-20-2012, 02:48 PM,
I just installed the iSimple is77 kit to my wing. Super super easy install. I have my iPhone connected to it, but the listing shows it also for the iPod.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#8 05-20-2012, 05:12 PM,
Roleketu Wrote:I just installed the iSimple is77 kit to my wing. Super super easy install. I have my iPhone connected to it, but the listing shows it also for the iPod.

Reading the ADD it says that it charges the ipod/iphone while in use, is this true?
If so, it sounds like it might be better than the audiovox if your using an ipod.

My case I use a GPS with mp3 so it is not worth me changing although I do have an Itouch I dont use it on the bike.

#9 05-20-2012, 05:56 PM,
Yes it charges also. I'm using my iPhone, so now it's my Sirius-XM satellite receiver, MP3 player, GPS, and my phone. Took off my separate GPS and satellite setups and just the iPhone now. The iSimple also have a video output. Told the wife she can mount a monitor on the back of my backrest and she can watch movies from my iPhone now. I also used the Ram Mount system. Very secure and well produced mounts.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#10 05-20-2012, 07:27 PM,
Roleketu Wrote:Yes it charges also. I'm using my iPhone, so now it's my Sirius-XM satellite receiver, MP3 player, GPS, and my phone. Took off my separate GPS and satellite setups and just the iPhone now. The iSimple also have a video output. Told the wife she can mount a monitor on the back of my backrest and she can watch movies from my iPhone now. I also used the Ram Mount system. Very secure and well produced mounts.

Only problem there, my meager cell service doesn't provide enough Smile

#11 05-20-2012, 08:18 PM,
Thanks for all the info, I ordered the set up that Tricky recommended, I'll let you all know how things go.

Thanks again
Dan
#12 05-21-2012, 03:52 PM,
update......the install of the FM modulator was easy, everything went together per the directions no problems.
last weekend we set out on an all day ride, the 200+ miles were over to soon .
I enjoyed that every song that played was one of my favorites. no more channel surfing to find something to listen to.
I would recommend this upgrade to all !!
I used the audiovox modulator with my ipod nano. I did have to get the RCA jack that fit into the ipod.

ride safe,
Dan
#13 06-09-2012, 03:53 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1984 GL1200A radio issues Dogmeat 7 3,196 05-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  Radio issues 2 1,464 05-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  Radio switch and tape deck volume issues 20 5,289 10-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Last Post: neoracer