Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Thinking time
When I was on my way home Saturday.. Running the interstate at 70 mph, I started feeling a vibration... Pulled off to the side to check the tires (thought maybe one was low), No problem with the tires.

Got back underway and about 10 minutes later I felt the vibration again and I started losing power (5th gear). At full throttle, I was only able to get 62 mph.

Stopped off for ice cream and rerouted myself to make it home without the interstate...

Bike runs fine in 1 - 4 gears but won't hold power in 5th gear.. Also there is a sound coming from the engine... Sounds like a very faint woopie cushion... continuous, but only when trying to push higher speeds in 5th gear.

I have looked for the obvious, exhaust leak, vacuum leak... Even thought of tearing into the carbs again to see if I ripped another slide diaphragm.

Anyone have any ideas?
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#1 11-18-2012, 10:35 PM,
After considerable frustrations and searching, it appears this problem was caused by a faulty gas cap... The vacuum relief valve was clogged, causing too much vacuum in the tank for the fuel pump to feed the engine at highway speeds.
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#2 11-22-2012, 11:33 AM,
soak the gas cap in seafoam overnight you will be surprised at the junk that will come out of it.... I was
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 11-22-2012, 01:00 PM,
good advice, I never would have thought of that
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#4 11-22-2012, 02:18 PM,
I sprayed carb. cleaner through my gas cap, especially from the inside out, and it has worked fine without the moaning for the past few years.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#5 11-23-2012, 07:09 AM,