Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Out of commission
Well, the old girl is down. I went to head somewhere yesterday and had fuel running down the side of the motor. It looks like it's coming from the fuel feed between the two right hand carbs. I already had to tear her down this weekend for some other work, so it looks like she's parked until I can get a Randakk's carb kit in. The worst part is I'm stuck driving the car to work for a while.
Turtle
86 Interstate, ex  police bike
85 LTD, parting out

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#1 08-15-2012, 06:09 AM,
Sorry to hear that Gary
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

#2 08-15-2012, 07:35 AM,
I feel your pain, I just got through last week rebuilding mine for the same problem but on the left side. When i pulled the old o-rings off they seemed to have dry rotted. Unfortunately Randak was on vacation while mine was down and had to go with Honda parts which aren't bad, but I've heard such good things about the Randak kit and wanted to try it out.
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually the headlamp of the oncoming train.

[Image: Bike003.jpg]
#3 08-16-2012, 06:30 AM,
we do get a bit under the weather when we HAVE TO drive.
I have been driving for four days because my bike needs a new rear tire. #-O
It was delivered Tues. but due to a daughter's Birthday and a friends need of assistance, the bike is 74% completed.
I am also changing the Works air assisted shocks to a set of Ebay Showa shocks so the whole back end is disassembled.... makes for changing the rear tire easy!! :d
I hope to finish tonight and be back on two wheels Friday.

It has been said, only a motorcylist knows the reason why a dog likes to ride with its head out the window......

WOOF!

**==
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#4 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM,
Mine is still in pieces all over the garage. I got the water pump changed but haven't put everything back on. I also rebuilt the rear master cylinder and I'm changing all the exhaust gaskets at the same time, so a lot of parts are off. It bothers me that the water pump seems to be in good shape, the shaft has no play at all. It makes me think that it wasn't the culprit in my bike overheating occasionally, which makes me suspect head gaskets. Anyone got a good recommendation on where to get a head gasket kit? Buying all the gaskets etc. from Honda looks like it will run to over $250, that seems excessive. At the same time I've heard some horror stories about inferior head gaskets, and I don't want to do this job more than once if I can avoid it.
Turtle
85 LTD, parting out

#5 08-24-2012, 06:07 AM,
I had heard of some same horror stories – saving dollars on the aftermarket head gasket only to have it fail one or two years later – not fun or a pleasant thought, which is why I just bought through Mother Honda.
I have the same hair style as you and just wanted one less thing to think about.

List of parts:

head gaskets (2X) - I had the parts counter guy at Honda ask me if I wanted one or two gaskets! I asked for two, of course.
exhaust crush gaskets (4X)
intake manifold orings (4X)
flat and oring water pipe gaskets (2X flat, 4X oring)
oil orifice gaskets - (2X large, 2X small) these are the little ones sandwiched between the cylinder head and the cylinder block
valve cover gaskets (2X)
valve cover bolt rubber gaskets (8X)
anti seize (1 tube)
stuff to remove the old gasket material (sandpaper, putty knife, chisel, wire wheel, bench grinder, kidding!!)
baggies and marker
time (?X)
space (not enough)

head gaskets also give you the opportunity to change timing belts :d

Good Luck and enjoy the bonding moments!!

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#6 08-24-2012, 03:19 PM,
Well, it turns out my fuel leak was coming from the bowl vent due to a float that's full of fuel and not floating. More down time while I wait on a float.
Turtle
85 LTD, parting out

#7 09-02-2012, 04:27 PM,