Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Fuel Petcock
Tonight, as I went to the garage to make sure all was secure before turning in, I noticed a heavy gasoline smell. It didn't take me long to discover fuel was leaking from the petcock. :-L

From some online research, it seems Mother Honda has discontinued this item. :-L

As we are planning to head out to BC and Montana this coming Tuesday, what can I do to correct the problem? :YMPRAY:
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#1 07-14-2012, 09:24 PM,
Petcock from SaberCycle

Perhaps you can get over-night shipping to you
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#2 07-14-2012, 09:27 PM,
I got lucky a couple of times on different bikes by removing the petcock and soaking it in oil then working it back and forth until it moved freely and easily. I think the seal inside gets bound up from rust/corrosion and it stops sealing, but, the oil gives it a second chance and the ones I worked on still seal after more than a couple of years. Doesn't cost much to try the oil.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 07-15-2012, 03:41 AM,
Thanks, Vic, but, as usual, I may have over-reacted. I read up on the matter in the Clymer manual last night and it doesn't seem to be as big a problem as first thought. Seems the o-rings need to be replaced in a pretty straightforward process. Now to find the o-rings!
Ian
#4 07-15-2012, 06:42 AM,
Gasohol plus age plus a trip in the offing = gremlins #-O

We have had success with O-ring changes + stop using gasohol.

#5 07-15-2012, 07:05 AM,
Laurie, I use Shell V-Power which ain't gasohol, right?

I'm hoping there won't be anything special about the o-rings and that I can find them locally today.
Ian
#6 07-15-2012, 07:38 AM,
After using a small transfer pump to drain the tank this morning due to the fact fuel would not run out of the petcock, I gave it a good cleaning in Varsol and a good soak in 10W-40 Amsoil. The original o-rings looked fine, so I re-used them.

After re-installing the unit, it seems to be working properly. I'll give it overnight before filling the tank again.

Good thing it happened here where I could do something rather than out on the highway, especially as no fuel was getting through the petcock.
Ian
#7 07-15-2012, 03:34 PM,
Keener Wrote:Laurie, I use Shell V-Power which ain't gasohol, right?

I'm hoping there won't be anything special about the o-rings and that I can find them locally today.

That's right Ian - V-Power has no ethanol...

I am glad it was a maintenance type repair that didn't require a parts chase - you guys have a great trip & ride safe...

#8 07-16-2012, 04:36 AM,
V-power can have ethanol, it does around here. Depends on your location.
Turtle
86 Interstate, ex  police bike
85 LTD, parting out

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#9 07-16-2012, 07:37 AM,
It's said that confession is good for the soul, so here goes...

It turns out that after all my running around like a chicken with its head cut off, getting gasoline all over the place, cleaning the petcock and checking all the fuel lines, filter and pump, the culprit was the old hose clamp holding the fuel line to the petcock! :oops: :oops:

Since making that correction, she's gone through a 350 km test run and a couple of nights sitting in the garage with not a drip anywhere (except for yours truly, of course!). :d

Another lesson learned.
Ian
#10 07-21-2012, 08:05 AM,
It sounds like everything turned out good for you, Ian. You had a great trip, your bike is fixed, everyone is happy, what more could you ask for?
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#11 07-21-2012, 07:00 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel tank shut off petcock, Do you use it? Gadget Man 6 4,758 08-25-2015, 08:48 PM
Last Post: bs175dths
  1986 GL1200A Petcock Rebuild Kit? 2 1,557 05-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Guest
  Fuel Petcock William_86 1 1,376 07-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Last Post: William_86