Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cheap Carb Balancer (hope it works)
Just bought one of these, I couldn't justify spending any more at the moment.Has anyone used this or similar? Hopefully you arn't going to tell me I've just flushed £20 down the toilet!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE-CARB-BALANCER-VACUUM-GAUGE-TOOL-/330729792986?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4d010825da#ht_1810wt_932">http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-MOT ... 1810wt_932</a><!-- m -->
Cheers...Charlie
The lady walking ahead of me sped up so I did too, she began running so I ran too, she screamed so I screamed as well. I never even saw what we were running from.
#1 05-09-2012, 09:22 AM,
In theory it sounds like it will work. It may take some trial and error playing with it to get the hang of it. It sounds like you can only balance two carbs at a time, so that means you will balance your #2 card to the base(#4) carb, then #1 carb to #3 carb, and finally the right bank (#1 & #3) to the left bank (#2 & #4). It may take a couple tries to get them right. It's worth a shot. Post back with your results of how it worked.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#2 05-09-2012, 10:18 AM,
Yes, it looks like only two carbs at a time which means the repeated removal and installation of the vacuum port screws. These screws have washers which are soft so they will seal properly. Repeated removal and installation may prematurely wear them out, causing a vacuum leak and/or requiring replacement.
I also read the adaptor tubes may be either brass (preferred) or heat treated plastic (not preferred). Just be careful not to cross thread the plastic threads, over tighten or crack the plastic if those are the tubes which come with your kit.

I found a set of mercury sticks at a garage sale years ago and they were sold for dirt because there were no adaptors.
I am mindful of the Mercury during both storage and usage, but they are slicker than pig snot. (the real stuff, not the Harley Wax)
If they work well, you may consider buying a second set so you could do all four carbs at once.

Good Luck.

-Ride On ~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 05-10-2012, 10:26 AM,
bs175dths Wrote:Yes, it looks like only two carbs at a time which means the repeated removal and installation of the vacuum port screws.

I would install all 4 carb adapters, then use rubber vacuum port plugs on the two that are not in use at any one time.

You could also get two two-into-one adjustable aquarium air valves and open up only the two carbs you want to adjust at any time.
#4 05-12-2012, 03:40 PM,
Its very quick and easy to use, exactly how accurate it is I dont know but the bike was already running nice and smooth ,the device showed very slightly unbalanced so a small turn on the screws brought the two balls into line, certainly seems a cheap DIY to get the balance close enough.

Attached Files
.jpg   100_1271 (2).JPG (Size: 59.4 KB / Downloads: 196)
Cheers...Charlie
The lady walking ahead of me sped up so I did too, she began running so I ran too, she screamed so I screamed as well. I never even saw what we were running from.
#5 05-13-2012, 03:47 AM,