Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Drive-ability-after warm up problem ????
I have a 1985 Ltd that just turned 18,000 miles. I start the bike and it runs great, until about 4-5 bars on the temp gauge. Then I loose power, and it will bearly move. I thought it might be a fuel problem, but after just filling it up, I noticed quarter of tank gone.

Could it be a firing or electrical problem after the engine heats something up? The fuel doesn't leak out but maybe it's over-fueling and not igniting the fuel and just flushing through?

So have anyone had this experience before or help me with solutions? :YMPRAY:
John - Space Coast, Florida
#1 02-25-2012, 06:58 AM,
Have you done the basic's yet? Check air and fuel filer? Pull plugs yet to see what's going on inside the engine? They fouled? Does the crankcase smell of gas? Soot or smoke coming out the exhaust? Check "ALL" vacuum hoses and complete intake system for leaks? Good fresh and fully charged battery? Being a "fuelie", it could be numerous things.

Do you have an LTD / SEI injection manual? Being a temp related issue, it could be an air intake temp sensor or a coolant temp sensor keeping the ECU in an enriched cold run mode. Fuel pressure regulator could be sticky also. Have a look at the basics things first, then we can go from there.....
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#2 02-25-2012, 10:40 AM,
Changed plugs, fuel filter, air filter and broken air chamber sensor. The problem comes out once in a while, and then after shut off for a few minutes disappears again? Loose connections?
Anyone know the size fuse to replace the larger dog bone with? I'm buying holders with fuses for them both.
#3 03-31-2012, 05:35 AM,
you need a 30 amp ato fuseholder,two for the ltd
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 03-31-2012, 06:05 AM,
could be several things as burnout says,your probably gonna have to use the ltd supplement and check some voltages at startup along with fuel pressure and then see what changes when the temp bars hit 4-5 bars,also check that the inlet filter on the fuel pump
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 03-31-2012, 06:13 AM,
Since I last posted I've pulled the radiator, and had it flushed, cleaned and pressure tested. I also replaced the thermostat and cap. It's been cool here in East coast of Florida for a couple of weeks, so I thought I solved the problem. But it popped right back as soon as the ambient temperature got to the 80's. Five to six bars and the throttle all of a suddenly stops reacting. Stopping the bike at a light is a big problem, as it barely gets rolling with ridding the clutch I've been able to limp it home. When out away from home, stopping to top off the gasoline and waiting 10 minutes I can get almost back to normal. So what ever it is reconnects when cooled off a little.
I'm not sure where to proceed from here #-O
#6 05-01-2012, 12:52 PM,
You might want to check the pulse generators (PG). When the PG's get old and worn out they have a tendency to stop working when they heat up. When you allow the bike to cool down they work again. Look in the repair manual on how to test them using an ohm meter. Test them when they're cold, run the bike til it heats up and you lose power and test them again. If the readings change when hot then you might have to replace.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#7 05-01-2012, 02:16 PM,
when this occurs keep an eye on the instanteous mpg figure on the travel computer,sounds like its fuel related,wondering if the fuel pump is not working correctly when warmed up,do you have a guage you can put on the fuel rail and take it for a ride,if the fuel pressureregulator is malfunctioning it could be starving for gas
check the inlet prefilter on the pump too
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#8 05-01-2012, 03:30 PM,
Do you have a LTD / SEI fuel injection manual? You need to start someplace. Because it's temp related, test the air intake temp and the coolant temp sensors first. However, now that you loosing throttle response, I would also look at the TPS / throttle position sensor. Check the adjustment and voltages.

All other posters have valid idea's and those need to be checked also.
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#9 05-02-2012, 03:17 AM,
Just picked up the bike from my Mechanic and I have one bad injector and the Throttle Position Sensor is not working properly. So anyone found one or a work around part lately ?

Burnout Wrote:Do you have a LTD / SEI fuel injection manual? You need to start someplace. Because it's temp related, test the air intake temp and the coolant temp sensors first. However, now that you loosing throttle response, I would also look at the TPS / throttle position sensor. Check the adjustment and voltages.

All other posters have valid idea's and those need to be checked also.
#10 05-30-2012, 09:07 AM,
I bought a bank angle censor from this guy and he might have some injectors.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://myworld.ebay.ca/spikescycle/?_trksid=p4340.l2559">http://myworld.ebay.ca/spikescycle/?_trksid=p4340.l2559</a><!-- m -->

I also found this one on ebay.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ebay.ca/itm/D9-HONDA-GL1200L-GOLDWING-FUEL-INJECTOR-16120-MG9-951-/280708608911?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415b89738f">http://www.ebay.ca/itm/D9-HONDA-GL1200L ... 415b89738f</a><!-- m -->
Johan
#11 05-30-2012, 11:06 AM,
You're gonna have to scour the internet and make a lot of phone calls to find what your looking for. Also have a look here in the "fuel injection" archives, to see what others have done with automotive TPS conversions. Good luck fixing her up. It will be worth it when done!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#12 05-30-2012, 12:30 PM,
Ok we have an update to yesterday's post.
I found the injector on Ebay and it will be here tomorrow.

The TPS took a couple of more hours, but located one in Missouri and it will ship soon.

Thank you for all the suggestions and support .... :YMHUG:
#13 05-31-2012, 10:20 AM,
Ok my TPS arrived yesterday Tongue Any words of wisdom as to changing it out?

johntrudeau Wrote:Ok we have an update to yesterday's post.
I found the injector on Ebay and it will be here tomorrow.

The TPS took a couple of more hours, but located one in Missouri and it will ship soon.

Thank you for all the suggestions and support .... :YMHUG:
#14 06-09-2012, 05:38 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine warm-up / use of the choke pstelter 11 3,216 09-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Guest
  Looses power then backfires when warm - have to restart it 5 2,643 10-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Guest