Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
1986 Asp - Pumping out white smoke - Any help appreciated
Hi all,

I have been following this forum a while and it is very enlightening. I would appreciate the diagnostic help of some of you wing gurus.

1986 Asp with 90K miles. I have been the third owner since 39K miles.

I recently put the bike on the center stand to check the oil and found it to be a quart low. Odd since I did an oil change less than 2K miles ago. I put a half quart in and upon cranking the starter, the bike began to leak oil from the ehaust header where it joins the muffler; just ahead of the crossover pipe. The bike began to pump out thick white smoke as the oil burned off the inside of the header pipes and muffler.

I shut down the engine and rechecked the oil which now looks like it is way overfilled. I drained all the oil ( it looked dirty but not excessively so)and replaced the oil to the specified levels and cranked up the engine. Same non stop white smoke even after 5 minutes at idle, but the oil level seem stable.

Next I checked the choke, which was not sticking, the air filter/ intake which was clear. I then pulled both the right side plugs (it only leaks from the right side header) and both plugs had no carbon build up, and no evidence of fouling.

At first I thought rings or a hole in the piston, but the plugs were so clean it didn't make sense. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks in advance,
Bassman

"Keep the dirty side down and the pointy end forward"
#1 07-13-2007, 02:23 PM,
welcome to the forum Bassman,
wish I could help you but, I'm clueless on this one. although I have confidence that someone here will be along to help shortly, some of these guys are pretty sharp.

nice to have you aboard. we have billy in Plant City and a fellow over in Myakka goes by the handle lostinflorida plus myself in Winter Haven. maybe one day we can all meet up for a ride.
good luck with your oil problem,
John
:wink:
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#2 07-13-2007, 03:25 PM,
White smoke is cooling fluid burning
Blue smoke is oil burning.
You have a wrong, head gasket, you must change it
Look in the cooling reservoir; it should have oil floating on top of the prestone
#3 07-14-2007, 11:41 AM,
I'm not an expert on these bikes.
White smoke does normally indicate burning coolant. But...
On some vehicles you have to remove the oil dipstick, to let the air pressure equalize in the crankcase with the atmosphere (1 or 2 seconds), then put the dipstick back to in to get an accurate check.
I have already pulled the dipstick out and checked it immediately, then put it back in and got a different reading.
If you did that and got a bad reading then added oil, it be over full and just dumping the excess oil.
I dont think idling will burn out the oil very well, you will have to take it for a run to get it warmed up good to burn it out.

Like I said Im not an expert, see what some of the others have to say also.
#4 07-14-2007, 12:49 PM,