Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
winter rebuilds
Not being ALL THAT mechanically inclined, especially with a bike that needs so much removed to get at "stuff" (and then put back in the right place with NO pieces left over) I am having a nearby shop (whom I trust) rebuild my carbs, slave cylinder, clutch, and replace the belts. He has given me an estimate of approx. $1500.00 including parts. What do you more experienced riders/wrenchers think? Does this sound like a good and fair deal to you. I think so. Oh, by the way, my ride is a 1986 GL1200 Aspencade with 94,000 miles on her. I'm thinking that, after this rebuild, I should be able to get many, many many more 1,000's of enjoyable miles from this bike. (I have been having some clutch problems lately, which is what prompted this work)
#1 01-12-2012, 09:20 AM,
You can shop around to see what other shops will charge you, then see if your trusted shop can match the prices. I do that with any type of work. You can really get some good deals that way. You might check out the tech sections and how to articles to see how the work is done and then decide whether you want to try it yourself.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#2 01-12-2012, 09:55 AM,
This topic comes up from time to time. We just talked about it over on the ST forum several weeks ago. The price seems like it's just a little high, but if the guy is GOOD and you TRUST him(no come backs), go for it. Money well spent. Besides, at that mileage, you owe it to the bike! $-)

Look at it this way.... It appears that you have a good runner. We all know that these things will go 200k miles and beyond. RELIABLY. It's always best to put $1500 into something you own outright and know it's history, opposed to buying another bike and starting from scratch....

Best wishes !
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#3 01-12-2012, 01:16 PM,
You know, if I had it that far apart, I might think about replacing the stator unless it's been done recently....
#4 01-12-2012, 08:46 PM,
If you have lots of money to throw around and you know and trust the technician go for it. It might be hard for you to believe but I have known several GL1200 owners who have never worked on a bike before yet they successfully cleaned and rebuilt their carbs and changed their bike's clutches without any problems at all by following the directions from this and other sites as they went along. We're here to help if you decide to go this route, but, if you can't handle a screwdriver and a wrench (only you know) then it might be best left in the hands of an expert who knows GL1200's.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#5 01-12-2012, 09:36 PM,
Wingnoob Wrote:You know, if I had it that far apart, I might think about replacing the stator unless it's been done recently....
My vote would be the poorboy alternator conversion while doing the timing belts.
“A good traveler has no fixed plans,and is not intent on arriving”~ Lao Tzu ~
[Image: 16hvxut.jpg]
[Image: 15r1pnl.jpg]
In Stable
1985 GL1200 Interstate(RIP)
2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650(Wife's Bike)
#6 01-13-2012, 12:28 AM,