Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Carbs rebuilt but...
I lost my OEM fuel pump a few months ago so I replaced it with an aftermarket one which led to the old girl running better than ever - then a couple of the carbs started the occasional drip, drip, drip (the replacement pumps output was within pressure specs). My son-in-law pulled the carbs and rebuilt them using Raddiks kit. He installed them and she fired up and idled much smoother than before. After he balanced them I suited up for a quick ride - no clutch!! The fluid in the master cylinder was very muddy so I flushed a full pint of DOT 4 fluid through and Ta-Dah, clutch again!

Took her out and discovered that while she idles fine, she stumbles some on low speed acceleration, gives a little cough every once in awhile and up to around 2500-3000 rpm doesn't have a lot of power unless at about half choke. Then she is fine except an idle speed of 2000+ isn't real comfortable or practical. Any ideas? I personally don't know much about the wing cabs.
Desmond
85 GL1200A
The art of riding is that of keeping the bike between you and the ground!
#1 02-01-2012, 06:15 PM,
I have an '86 Aspy and have had the carbs off three times now. First time I rebuilt them (with the same kit) it behaved much like yours. I took them off for the second time and re-cleaned them. I took more time and tripple checked all passages and jets. It ran great after the second time around. My tank has some rust and if I don't change the fuel filter every 3 months it will let some crap into the carbs.....Well, guess what? I let it go for 4 or 5 months because it was running so great. The third time I just gave it a quick cleaning and put on a new filter. It still runs great.

Thanks for reminding me----I need to change that filter on Saturday!!
#2 02-01-2012, 08:09 PM,
Sounds like a vacuum leak in one of the many orings and gaskets used in that job.....
#3 02-01-2012, 10:22 PM,
Time to get an 1800! :lol:

I'll be happy to yank the carbs again and see what I can find with it.

Ought to hand you the keys to my 1100 till I can get yours working right!

PS, I'm the SIL
#4 02-02-2012, 09:42 AM,
Don't sell yourself short! If it wasn't for you it would be still sitting in the garage waiting for something to happen! :YMAPPLAUSE:
Desmond
85 GL1200A
#5 02-02-2012, 11:12 AM,
I bought my 84I from the original owners son who kept the bike for two years after his Dad had passed. His 80 year old Dad put 104K miles on the bike.
My carburetors came off several times before I got all the kinks ironed out. Along with cleaning, I replaced all the hoses under the carburetor assembly and the intake o-rings, mercury sticks to synchronize and she was running very, very good. Back firing when decelerating led me to an exhaust leak and the need for fresh spark plugs.
Never rule out a job recently done. Just because the carbs were done, doesn't mean something wasn't missed, or upon installation, an intake o-ring was pinched, causing an air leak.
There is no shame in going over recent work again.

To help me think of possible solutions to my bikes needs, I document the bikes behavior and what I have tried to remedy the problem. I don't need to be in front of a running, or non-running bike to be thinking of possible reasons for failure or possible solutions.

-Ride On ~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#6 02-03-2012, 10:00 PM,
Finally got a few minutes to go look at it.

I neglected to tighten the clamps between the carbs and the intake runners #-O

Without a test ride (too muddy and can't find the swamp-buggy button) it appears to be resolved. Will pull itself nearly into motion at idle and revs smoothly from all RPMs.
#7 02-20-2012, 04:15 PM,
so there is something majestic about having a screw loose......
glad it seems resolved.
did you check other fasteners?
just a thought

-ride on
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#8 02-21-2012, 09:42 AM,
My mechanic is doing some "winter work" getting my '86 ready for this spring. one of the things he did was rebuild the carbs. I stopped into the shop the other day and he showed me all these vacuum hoses and told me they weren't hooked up to ANYTHING!!! Gee, maybe that's why it popped and backfired all the time. Ya THINK???
#9 02-21-2012, 10:07 AM,
I intentionally left those clamps lost to make fitting it on the bike easier,just forgot to get them tight. All the other fasteners I can see are indeed tight.

I got the vacuum lines hooked back up, that I'm sure of!
#10 02-21-2012, 08:18 PM,
Do I have a great son-in-law or what! Bike runs like a champ now.
Desmond
85 GL1200A
#11 02-28-2012, 09:19 PM,
Except for it being extra cold natured, that is!
Glad it's working. I'm jealous that your able to ride in this weather. Hopefully my part will be in this week!
#12 02-28-2012, 09:33 PM,
Did you shim the main jet in the carbs?

This makes a world of difference to the low rpm slow riding and idling of the 84 and 85 carbs.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#13 02-28-2012, 09:35 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just rebuilt my carbs 7 3,112 10-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Last Post: bs175dths
  I'm a happy guy! Carbs finally rebuilt! scty_p 8 2,834 05-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Last Post: DannoDeManno
  Just rebuilt the Carbs using Randakks Kit & Manual 10 3,270 05-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Last Post: admin