Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
antenna connection on panasonic
anyone know what kind of connection is used at harness assembly for antenna 0n 84 aspencade. want to convert to newer radio. not sure if i can hook up antenna ....
#1 08-15-2010, 08:28 PM,
You do realize that you will lose the auto volume if you change the radio. I think it is a standard connector.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 08-16-2010, 04:43 AM,
the stock honda uses what the call a motorola plug, other radios use what they call a PL259

someone makes a plug that converts them easily but cant find the link lately,called siera but they didn't have one
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 08-16-2010, 04:59 AM,
Take your pick
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.installer.com/antenna/">http://www.installer.com/antenna/</a><!-- m -->

#4 08-16-2010, 08:58 AM,
On my Aspy I followed the antenna cable from the antenna forward, and just under the false tank going towards the left side of fairing is a connector plug. And its a standard antenna plug. I used it to install my direct FM connector for the Sirius satellite radio. So if installing an aftermarket radio you could use a standard antenna extension to use the stock antenna. And yes it does by-pass the auto volume control. However, my auto volume was creating static so I already by-passed it.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#5 08-16-2010, 10:49 AM,
not too worried about auto volume as i dont even know what it is. We dont have intercom headsets(didnt come with bike but all cables are in fairing and extra box parts).

Cant justify spending over $100 to fix a dead am/fm cassette radio just to get some tunes. Ive heard that fm reception is so-so........besides ive got a almost new am/fm cassette SONY deck i took out of my boat when i switched to a cd deck.

Sierra said $103 is base price repair and my deck is totally dead(yes its the deck) so may even be higher. You can find brand new at sierra but at $459 for the deck... i dont think so....

maybe i should just whistle goin down the road......
#6 08-16-2010, 02:07 PM,
Oh my, your gonna have the "Keep the bike stock folks mad at ya"

#7 08-16-2010, 03:08 PM,
doesnt seem right to drop couple hundred bucks on a radio when i only pd $2000 for the whole bike.....dont even know if amp or speakers even work. no one real close to see if i can try their deck. most are funny about letting you yank their radio to test in your bike....

maybe ill just suck it up and ship it to sierra to take a look....

oh yeah its already not original when i got it. the air ride pump and lines are gone. rear has filler to use and front forks are capped off.

Its my first wing and a test to see if we will upgrade in a yr or 2......
#8 08-16-2010, 03:32 PM,
Quote:Oh my, your gonna have the "Keep the bike stock folks mad at ya"

Guess I'll have a few mad. One of my winter projects is to install a marine radio with a CD and front Aux port.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#9 08-16-2010, 05:27 PM,
I think everyone makes their bikes their own...in their own ways. Just like a classic car with some modern touches.....

If you like it...RIDE IT!!!!!!
#10 08-16-2010, 05:41 PM,