Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New member posting a howdy (as requested)
Greetings to all,

My name is Dennis, I'm located in Coarsegold, California (above Fresno and below Yosemite).

I've been perusing on and off for the last couple of years all the great info contained in these forums. Thanks to all of you who have contributed their time, wisdom and knowledge.

Reason that I finally joined this group is that I need some help. The stator on my GL bit the dust with 39K miles. I was hoping to tap into the collective wisdom and knowledge from ya'll to help me with fixing my bike.

I didn't relish the idea of pulling the motor to replace the stock stator, therefore I'm going with Don's (Poorboy) GM alternator conversion.

I e-mailed Don with questions regarding the conversions dependability, reliability, etc. He told me that he has sold upwards of 500 kits. Well, that in of itself speaks volumes to me.

On to my problem. Being that my GL is the standard model it doesn't have a fairing bracket to mount the GM alternator to.

Has anyone mounted Don's GM alternator on a standard GL1200 and, if so, can they give me some guidance on how they did it and/or does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to do it?

Without knowing any better I'm thinking of buying a used fairing bracket, mount it on my bike and jerry-rig it to work, though the esthetics of the bike might suffer.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance and have a great evening!

Dennis
#1 08-01-2010, 04:37 PM,
Hi Dennis and welcome to the site. I haven't converted my bike to the poor boy yet because my stator is still working, when the time comes I will be changing to the conversion. There are a lot of people on this site who have and I am sure they will be along soon to help you. Don may be a good person to ask the question as he knows it inside and out.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#2 08-01-2010, 06:19 PM,
First, welcome to the sight! ...from Mississippi

I'm sorry that you've joined the ranks of those of us who have suffered "the dreaded death of the stator."

I have an '86 Aspy and I did the PoorBoy Conversion. No regreats at all. Wished I had done it sooner before my stator craped. So, if I ever had a problem with the alternater on the PoorBoy setup I could switch back to the stator and make it to a parts house or an alternater repair shop.

Ok, no help here because I have no knowledge of your bike or what to do. But, not to worry, I'm sure someone with the correct knowledge will be along soon.

Good luck in your quest, and the PoorBoy is THE way to go!
#3 08-01-2010, 07:46 PM,
Blue Wing and Gary B, thanks for the prompt reply.

Hey Gary B, I lived for 5 years in Gulfport, MS (while the U.S. Navy Seabees) and loved every minute of it (even the hurricanes). I should have retired there instead of Cali (what with the Terminator running the state into the ground).
#4 08-01-2010, 09:39 PM,
Welcome to the site Dennis from a former Californian who fled in 1984 and never looked back. I now hail from north Georgia just above HotLanta.

This is THE site for all things related to the GL1200. I am sure Don or someone will come along and help with your problem. I am like bluewing, I have not needed the conversion yet, but when the time comes PoorBoy is the way to go.
Remember, No matter where you go...There you are!

Here is where I have ridden my 1984 GL1200I
I completed the lower 48 states in August 2009, riding the whole way with my Dad

[Image: VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg]
#5 08-02-2010, 07:08 AM,
dennisanger Wrote:Blue Wing and Gary B, thanks for the prompt reply.

Hey Gary B, I lived for 5 years in Gulfport, MS (while the U.S. Navy Seabees) and loved every minute of it (even the hurricanes). I should have retired there instead of Cali (what with the Terminator running the state into the ground).

My youngest son (26 y.o.) is s SeaBee (Builder-BU) in the Naval Reserves. He pulled 3 months in Iraq and 3 months in Afganistan. He does his monthly Reserve meetings at the Meridian NAS in the southern part of Mississippi.

You can sell your house in Cali in this housing slump and buy a really nice one here! ...or a small one and have many coins left over. Downside...you gotta put up with us redneks. ;^))

GaryB
#6 08-02-2010, 11:10 AM,
Sgt Dave Wrote:Welcome to the site Dennis from a former Californian who fled in 1984 and never looked back. I now hail from north Georgia just above HotLanta.

This is THE site for all things related to the GL1200. I am sure Don or someone will come along and help with your problem. I am like bluewing, I have not needed the conversion yet, but when the time comes PoorBoy is the way to go.
Sgt. Dave, another (Southern) coincidence. I spent my first 3 years (in a 20 year military career) in the U.S. Army at Ft. Stewart, Savannah, GA. I loves the South. Gotta move back some day...
#7 08-02-2010, 09:32 PM,
GaryB Wrote:

My youngest son (26 y.o.) is s SeaBee (Builder-BU) in the Naval Reserves. He pulled 3 months in Iraq and 3 months in Afganistan. He does his monthly Reserve meetings at the Meridian NAS in the southern part of Mississippi.

You can sell your house in Cali in this housing slump and buy a really nice one here! ...or a small one and have many coins left over. Downside...you gotta put up with us redneks. ;^))

GaryB
Hey Gary, what's your son's full name? Maybe I know him. After my 20 years in the Seabees I stayed on as a civilian training the Bee's on both coasts (Gulfport, MS and Oxnard, Ca.). Maybe I know your son.

BTW, I'd rather be with the Rednecks (on the right coast) than the people on the left coast (and I'm from here). Wink
#8 08-02-2010, 09:39 PM,
PM sent....
GaryB

dennisanger Wrote:
GaryB Wrote:

GaryB
Hey Gary, what's your son's full name? Maybe I know him. After my 20 years in the Seabees I stayed on as a civilian training the Bee's on both coasts (Gulfport, MS and Oxnard, Ca.). Maybe I know your son.

BTW, I'd rather be with the Rednecks (on the right coast) than the people on the left coast (and I'm from here). Wink
#9 08-03-2010, 06:22 PM,
fysty-1 Wrote:Dennis, welcome to the best site on the web from minutes north of the 49th. As to your question. The poorby kit does not mot in any way to the fairing. It is completely mounted to the engine, so it should mount to a standard very well. Some of ushave had to use a heat gun to heat the tupperware in order to "bulge" it out for the alt. :d :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Angela and Dani, thanks for your imput.

Have you installed the poorboy on your GL?
#10 08-03-2010, 06:23 PM,
fysty-1 Wrote:Dennis, welcome to the best site on the web from minutes north of the 49th. As to your question. The poorby kit does not mot in any way to the fairing. It is completely mounted to the engine, so it should mount to a standard very well. Some of ushave had to use a heat gun to heat the tupperware in order to "bulge" it out for the alt. :d :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Fysty-1, He's converting a "standard." He doesn't have a faring bracket to fasten the upper mount of the new alternator. The faring bracket on the other models hold the alternator at the top.(With a little cutting and grinding, and Don's bracket.) The bottom mount of the alternator is fastened to the engine, however he needs to fabricate a bracket to hold the upper mount, or top of the alternator, and keep tension on the belt. Those of us with a faring, have a place to fasten Don's bracket too that holds the alternator at the top.

Dennis, hopefully Don, or one of the other innovators will be along soon with ideas for fabricating a bracket that will work. Have you considered the safety factor of the alternator being exposed? You've got a great challenge for the welders/fabricators in this forum *-Smile

I did the "poorboy" conversion on my 84 Interstate this year, and I couldn't be happier with it. Having consistent 14.1 volts charging, and no worry about extra draw on the battery!

You've found a great place for help with the 1200..
Welcome...
#11 08-03-2010, 07:02 PM,
fysty-1 Wrote:#-O :ymblushing: :d :d I am soooo sooorrry for misleading you Dennis. I haven't yet installed mine & I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to the 'structions. heheheheheh ^Smile^ :YMHUG: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
It's all good Fysty, I guess I'll figure it out as I go along.

Thanks to everyone for their imput.

Dennis
#12 08-06-2010, 09:51 PM,
Hey!
I'm unemployed, and just started my new business by starting a motorcycle repair and resell operation. I started with an 85 Interstate, and a ST-1100. I'm fixing them up now, but, they will be hard to sell. :-J
#13 08-10-2010, 09:49 AM,
Being that you have a beautiful Standard Gold Wing I would seriously consider pulling the engine and replacing the stator. It's about 8 hours work but you will keep the clean looks of your bike. On an Aspencade or Interstate the alternator is completely hidden by the fairing but on your Standard it would stick out like a sore thumb.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#14 08-10-2010, 06:41 PM,
I saw a standard one time with a conversion and everything was chromed or polished, I am not sure which but it sure had a shine to it and it really looked good. I am not sure I would do that but it sure looked better than the stock car alt and brackets.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#15 08-10-2010, 07:00 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  85 Ltd. Electrical Help Requested ForedeckYoda 1 971 09-20-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Dave-1985-LTD
  !!! New Member Howdy nogotee 20 14,629 09-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Last Post: admin
  Posting a howdy 2 2,327 01-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Last Post: admin