Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Old air filter smells like gas
So, based upon the advice I received on this board on how to improve my gas mileage, I (finally) replaced my air filter this afternoon. The old one looked pretty dirty, but I'm not sure how dirty is too dirty.

What I can say is that the old one had a faint gasoline odor to it. Would this indicate that the filter is clogged and pulling in too much fuel. Or, does it just mean that I am running too rich. I have to say that it seemed to start easier and run smoother once the new filter was in.

Thanks for your help. Hug your mother this weekend.

- Pete
#1 05-08-2010, 02:54 PM,
You do have a breather tube coming from the crankcase up to the airbox, do you also keep the oil completely full or maybe over filled?

Our engines often prefer to have the oil between the full and low marks on the dipsticks, and the engines take LES THAN a full gallon of oil, even though a lot of riders just dump in a full gallon of oil which makes the engine push some of the extra oil out in whatever way it can.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#2 05-08-2010, 06:07 PM,
Pete,
I'm not sure I've ever taken an air cleaner off a carbureted engine that didn't have a faint gasoline smell. When you shut down an engine, there's always a small amount of gasoline vapor in the carb. That can easily pass back up to the air cleaner and the filter element does a great job of grabbing onto and holding that odor. Unless you have some other indicator of an overly rich fuel ratio (sudden drop in gas mileage, fouled plugs, black smoke from tail pipes, etc.), I wouldn't worry about a faint gasoline odor in the filter element.

I should add that my statement comes from auto experience and very little with motorcycles but I can't see much difference in the basic operation of a 4-stroke, carbureted engine.

Hoss
#3 05-08-2010, 10:31 PM,
There is always a bit of a gas smell when I take my air filter out to change it. I agree with Hoss.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#4 05-09-2010, 04:01 AM,
Hey "pstelter" if you haven't sync'd your carbs, I have the gauge set and live close to ya, Springfield MA and you are welcome to come up and we can balance your carbs. Then you'll know you're not running rich and the Wing will purr.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#5 05-09-2010, 09:34 AM,
Thanks for the carb sync offer! Unfortunately, I have no idea when I'll be able to ride to Springfield...

On another note, I replaced the air filter and now the bike seems to have excessive smoke when I first start it with the choke on. Smoke seems to dissipate somewhat when I reduce the choke. Is it possible that the air filter change is more difficult than it looks? I did install the solid rubber grommet in the small air filter hole, and I did re-insert the breather tube. What could be causing the smoke? Thanks.

- Pete
#6 05-13-2010, 12:19 PM,
bob NE In. Wrote:I always smell like gas... :roll:

Who said "That because you're an old fart!"???

Bob, I wouldn't put up with that! You need a refill on a 55 gal drum of whupp-@SS? :roll: :lol:
#7 05-13-2010, 05:44 PM,
Ok, I started the bike after work and there was almost no smoke. So I'm guessing I don't have a problem, but I would like to know why it smoked up lke it did right after replacing the air filter.

Looks to be a good weekend for riding in the NE. Enjoy and stay safe!

- Pete
#8 05-14-2010, 05:24 AM,
Okies, let me know if you ever want to do the carb sync, you'll truly will be amazed what it will do for the bike.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#9 05-14-2010, 07:21 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smells like gasoline admin 65 31,729 04-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Last Post: keystone373