Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
New to the Wing Thing - 1987 Apencade
Actually, like most things, it looks worse than it is. The tank and seat must come off along with the lower fairing. The carbs slide out of the left side. I also found it easier to remove the # 3 carb top.
#16 02-14-2010, 08:28 AM,
A real simple way to test the fuel pump is to remove the output fuel line (the one that leads tot he carbs)... Place a spare piece of fuel line on the fuel pump nipple and the other end into a catch container... Now just turn the switch on and crank it over a bit... Yo should see fuel getting pumped into the catch container...
You will likely need to turn the fuel petcock off while removing the line from the pump if the tanks fuel level is higher than the pump... If it has less than half a tank or so, then most likely you wont need to turn the petcock off while getting setup to test... Another possibility is that petcock itself... If the tank is over half full you should get gas to come out of the petcock (prior to the pump)... You can just remove the inbound fuel line from the fuel pump to test for this...
Ed Zogg
#17 02-19-2010, 08:01 AM,
Welcome to the site.

As to your CB issue most likely the circuit boards got contaminated with water and have got some corrosion. It is best to send this into Sierra Electronics for an overhaul.

Sierra Electronics
Attn: Service Dept.
2080 Experiment Farm Rd
Troy, OH 45373

1-800-338-6938 Toll Free orders

The standard cost is $100 and you should see you radio back in about 7 days after their receipt of it. My CB would come on, change channels all that good stuff but without reception or transmission. Sierra techs told me this is a common problem with our CBs.

Good luck with the carbs.
#18 02-19-2010, 04:01 PM,
It's Alive!

I gave one last valiant attempt to get the ol' girl running before I pulled the carbs. I had the carbs on the left side that were not getting any fuel and the right side was minimal, So I pulled the fuel line off the fuel pump and applied a little compressed air to the line and reattached. First couple of trys - nothing. But I kept after it - removing the fuel line - a little compressed air - reattached - try and start. On the 5th go round I got a couple chugs from the engine like it wanted to start. Did the compressed air routine 2 more times and voila - She started chugging with a little help from me with the throttle.

At first it ran real crappy - but as I continued to keep the throttle up it got better and better. - Did not want to idle - wanted to keep falling below 500 rpm. So I adjusted the idle to 1000 rpm after a l.o.n.g. warm up and it sat there and idled away for a long time. Sounds like it has an exhaust leak on the left bank tho'.

I applied a liberal application of Seafoam to the gastank to try and get the carbs some help and ran it for easily for 4 hours or more. Cooling fan came on - temp gauge showed about 1/2. Any tips on the choke enrichers? They don't seem to move very much.

I'll go thru the carbs anyway - but I wanted to get the thing running so I can see if there is any major issues with the engine/drivetrain/suspension/etc.

I have finally pulled it off the trailer and found out that the clutch, first gear and front brake work - so I'm happy about that.

Before I get my maiden voyage on it - I have to fix the rear brake - the pedal goes to the floor - reservoir is full of REAL dark looking fluid that probably years ago was brake fluid. I'm hoping a flush and bleed will bring me a good pedal again. Any tips you guys might be able to offer?

I also found out the air pump works - where I thought it didn't before - read the docs (go figure) and it works just fine. The feature for inflating tires works as well.

I'm really getting juiced about this bike!!
#19 03-15-2010, 08:25 AM,
Woe is me.

Well, I got home from work last night and fired the bike up. It started okay but seemed to chug a bit. I kept running it - It chugging and didn't want to idle - I then smelled gas... Lo and behold a puddle was starting to form below the bike. Uh oh. The odd part is the fuel was coming out from a grouping of components and hoses above the carbs and fuel pump. ??? I'm thinking it must be tied into the emissions components of the bike (It's a california emissions bike) - Any ideas what the heck it is or what's causing thie gusher? It was getting late and dark so I couldn't investigate further exactly where the fuel was coming from. Ran good and idled fine Saturday and Sunday for over 6 hours total. Weird?

-Ralph...
#20 03-16-2010, 10:20 AM,
not sure but this is what bothered me:

Quote:So I pulled the fuel line off the fuel pump and applied a little compressed air to the line and reattached. First couple of trys - nothing. But I kept after it - removing the fuel line - a little compressed air - reattached
#21 03-16-2010, 11:05 AM,
When you blew air back into the tank, you DID have the tank cap off... Didn't you?? :YMPRAY:
1985 Limited Edition
#22 03-16-2010, 01:33 PM,
Hello again

Did not blow air towards the tank - blew a little compressed air towards the carbs with the drain screws out so I could watch to see if any used to be fuel came out - (which did happen)

-Ralph...
#23 03-16-2010, 01:50 PM,
Hello again all,

Finally got enough time to work on the Goldwing again and removed the carbs on Friday. As I think I stated in an earlier post it is a california emissions bike. The carbs are absolutely festooned with many vacuum hoses and other emissions hoo hockey. Can some of this stuff be removed? A lot of it looks passive - I will attempt to upload an image of sticker on the right side of the tank for you all to have a look at if you want. Probably should take a close look at the slow air cut off valve too huh? Or should I just replace it.
#24 04-05-2010, 05:34 PM,