Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Can the unused GL1200 antenna be used on an add-on CB?
Believe it or not, I did do a lot of searching on this board and others but never seemed to find this question exactly….I’m sure it’s here somewhere but I’ll be danged if I could find it…but I have that problem sometime. So if it has already been answered please direct me to the info. -Thanks

I have adjusted my wants list...My AM/FM radio works so I plan on getting an FM modulator (the type that goes inline to the radio), and not worring about the dang cell phone. I'll check it when I stop...best anywhay.

I would like to use one of the existing antenna with an add-on Radio Shack CB mounted similar to Roscoepc's...

[Image: file.php?id=1203&t=1]

[Image: file.php?id=1204&t=1]

My bike:

-’86 Aspencade
-No factory CB
-2 antenna, one is connected to the AM/FM. The left one is not connected. The cable is coiled under the trunk.
-the end on that antenna cable is a standard (old standard) male car radio plug.

Questions:

1) will this work as a CB antenna for the Radio Shack CB (or any add on CB)

If so…

2) Is there an adapter to go from the car radio plug to the CB, or do I need to replace the plug with the correct connector.

--OR—

Yes, it would work but not very good.
--or--
No, it won’t work.

--THEN—

I would like some suggestions on which antenna to use.

Any insight will be much appreciated.

I do understand a little bit about CBs but I’ve ever install a CB on a bike. I have an SWR meter and have used it several times. I just wanted to get some feedback on what has already been tested and what seems to work on these bikes.

Many thanks in advance,
GaryB
#1 12-22-2009, 12:55 PM,
When the aspy or Ltd was new it was supplied with an antenna for the radio.
When you purchased the CB kit a Splitter was supplied so you could use the same antenna for both,

Hence Honda never made a left side antenna bracket, it wasnt needed, the one antenna did for both.

If you have two antenna's then you can use one for the radio and one for the CB

The jury is still out as to whether one antenna with a splitter is better or two antenna's ( for CB reception)

One would think two would be, but I never did find it any better, except the second one looks nicer.... IMO and it provides a place to attach a flag so long as it is kept to the bottom of the stem.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 12-22-2009, 02:45 PM,
Gary,

According to my buddy who is a Licensed General Class Ham operator, keeping the two signals separate gives you the best of both worlds.

You can tune the CB antenna to the best standing wave and not worry about reception lost via a signal splitter for the FM.

I have set this setup on my Aspencade and have had great results.

Just remember to follow CB antenna tuning procedures to prevent damage to the transmit side of your CB. I believe Vic has a nice posting of this procedure. If in doubt, get a hold of a Ham radio operator or a shop the deals with public communication equipment for further assistance.

Tricky is right, two antennas look slick! :d
#3 12-22-2009, 04:33 PM,
Thanks guys for your responses. I appreciate the time and effort.

Yes, I agree, the twin antenni do look sharp and I would like to keep it that way...using the identical antenna. I would rather have it that way than taking one off and adding a FireStick or something.

I've got to find out if there is an adapter or if I just need to cut the end off and add a CB antenna connector.

Thanks again.

Edit: Now that I got the correct nomeclature (I think), I should have said something like...

My bike has 2 Honda antenna. One is connected to the AM/FM radio. The other is not connected. The Honda antennas have male Motorola jacks. The add-on RadioShack CB has a UHF Female (PL259) plug for the antenna. So I needed a male Motorola jack to UHF Female (PL259) adapter. Or I could cut off the Mororola jack and install a male UHF (PL259) plug. I had no idea if there were such adapters or even if it would work at all.

My apologies for not knowing what I was asking for...because I really didn't know.

Thanks for your patience and help,
GaryB
(It's ok. You can say or think "Dumb-@$$ Mississippi Rednek". I say it to myself sometimes.) Live with me as long as I have and you'll get use to it just like I have.
;^)
#4 12-22-2009, 04:53 PM,
Gary,

I am not sure what you mean by "cut off and find a CB" adapter. I would assume that the aftermarket CB antenna lead is different from the "automotive" antenna jack/plug used on the Wing.

If this is the case, check out Radio Schak. They use to carry a lot of electrical stuff, but not much any more. But they may have it. Or you can use their online store. Use google to get to it.

Good luck.
#5 12-23-2009, 02:34 PM,
there is an adapter but the only way i was able to do it was going from the typical cb plug to a bnc then to a female motorola plug

considering the amount of room this takes up, my suggestion would be to make up about a 6' cb cable that gets you back to the rear fender area and then make the adaptation to the stock gl cb antenna

since tricky has used this type of cb setup i cant recall to what type of antenna he connected to but poscoepc picture shows him using two stock type antennas so he somehow made a connection
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#6 12-23-2009, 02:38 PM,
neoracer Wrote:there is an adapter but the only way i was able to do it was going from the typical cb plug to a bnc then to a female motorola plug

considering the amount of room this takes up, my suggestion would be to make up about a 6' cb cable that gets you back to the rear fender area and then make the adaptation to the stock gl cb antenna

since tricky has used this type of cb setup i cant recall to what type of antenna he connected to but poscoepc picture shows him using two stock type antennas so he somehow made a connection

Thanks guy. You are on the same page with me.

I went to Radio Shack explained to the guy what I was trying to do and he found (edit-did not give me anything) the 2 adapters...just like you said. I'll give this a try and test how well that antenna works before I add the 6' extention.

The 2 adapters:

-Radio Shack #278-117 -Female Motorola jack to BNC male plug
-Radio Shack #278-121 -Female BNC plug to PL-259 Male

Thanks for the heads up.

GaryB
#7 12-23-2009, 04:57 PM,
May be too late for this reply, but I think Sierra has just what you need:

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?...%2DMOT%2DF
Turtle
86 Interstate, ex  police bike
85 LTD, parting out

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#8 12-29-2009, 07:11 AM,
garyft Wrote:May be too late for this reply, but I think Sierra has just what you need:

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?...%2DMOT%2DF

Heck naw...you ain't too late.

That is just what I'm look'n for. ...and cheaper (less expensive) than what I can go to Radio Shack, get the parts and make one. The kinda stuff I like!

Thanks bunches for your input and direction.

GaryB
Miss Sippi
#9 12-29-2009, 10:07 AM,