Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of Polk Audio db401 replacement speakers.
I finally got around to purchasing and installing a pair of Polk Audio db401 speakers for the front speaker location on my GL1200A (these speakers will also fit in the rear, trunk-mount location for GL1200s so-equipped) so I thought I would do a review.

I purchased new Polk Audio db401s through a discounter on eBay, they cost me $47 shipped to my door. The original Honda speakers are 4-ohm, 8-watt single-cone speakers, whereas the db401s are 4-ohm, 45 watt coaxial speakers, and are "marine certified", meaning that they are water resistant if not waterproof, which is nice for a motorcycle application. Upon opening the box, I was very pleased in that upon visual inspection the speakers are obviously of high-quality and well-manufactured, and have a very attractive appearance as speakers go, not that it matters that much since they will be covered by the speaker grilles, but they are obviously of much better quality than the average 4" speaker.

After removing the grilles (for 1985-1987 speaker grilles {not delete grilles}, carefully pry on the right side of the Honda emblem with a small flat screwdriver to remove it, and use a phillips screwdriver to remove the single screw, then insert a short flat screwdriver blade behind the top inside corner and carefully push down the upper inside tab on the back side of the grille corner to release inboard side of the grilles. Or for 1984, insert a short flat screwdriver blade and carefully push down to release the inboard side tabs, then grasp the speaker grille on the side that coincides with the Honda emblem and pull out to pop the "ball" out of the grommet in back of the grilles. For 1984 speaker grilles only, the Honda emblem is fixed and doesn't require removal. For all years of speaker delete grilles, follow the removal instructions for 1984 speaker grilles) the speakers are exposed and simply held in with four screws. Use a phillips screwdriver to remove the four screws and the speaker just pulls out. Don't remove the original Honda spacers, leave them in place.

There are only two wires to connect, positive and negative, and it is very easy to tell which is which, the positive terminal is the larger one and the negative the smaller one, nothing to it. You will probably have to squeeze the speaker connectors down tighter on the terminals and that will be the most difficult thing you will have to do. Insert the speakers in the opening, the holes will line up perfectly, and reinstall the four screws on each side. I thought I would have to bend or flatten down the tweeter to get the grilles to go back on, but I didn't need to - it will be a tight fit with the tweeters in there but they should fit. If you find you need more room try removing the spacers and then installing the speakers. Reinstall the grilles and you are ready to listen.

Soundwise, the Polk Audio db401s represent a distinct improvement over the oem originals. They don't offer a lot in the way of bass, but do offer some bass improvement since they are new, modern technology, marine-grade speakers. Midrange and highs are much-improved over stock, and overall sound clarity is much-improved. I am convinced that they are the best replacement speaker you can buy for the GL1200. I highly recommend them.
#1 10-24-2009, 05:22 PM,
I have to agree. I changed my rear ones last year with the Polk Audio's and it was quite better. I intend to change the fronts as well in the future.
1997 Valkyrie Tourer, 1987 Burgandy Aspencade with poorboy installed, and a 2005 Red GL 1800.
#2 10-26-2009, 09:52 AM,
Jettdirect,
Who did you get your speakers from for $47.00 ?? Was that per speaker or each ?

Don
#3 10-26-2009, 10:25 AM,
Hey Don, I just ordered a pair off of Ebay for $59.00 and Shipping is Free. Like I said, I had ordered a pair a while back for my rear speakers and loved 'em. Now I am ordering one more pair for my front speakers. I think there is 5 more pair available at this price. They are a good speaker and they're waterproof. Just look up Polk Audio db 401's. By the way, how about posting some pics of the stable of 1200's you have. I am sure others, as well as myself, would love to see all the different bikes you have.
1997 Valkyrie Tourer, 1987 Burgandy Aspencade with poorboy installed, and a 2005 Red GL 1800.
#4 10-27-2009, 03:31 PM,
I got mine from eBay seller "Nurtech", the box was showing some wear on the outside but they were advertised as new and looked new when I opened the box. His price is "Buy It Now" for $65.99 or "Make Offer", so I made an offer and got a pair, new in a worn-looking box, for $47. Not $47 each, but $47 for both, shipped. They are correct spec for the GL1200 (4-ohm), installed easily, fit perfectly, and sound great.

I really like these speakers. I have been hanging out in my garage lately just listening to the motorcycle stereo.
#5 10-29-2009, 12:11 AM,
think i just bought the last set that nurtech had for a best bid price of $45

there is another seller which sounds like the "factory store" selling refurbs which i was about to buy but after getting outbid several times and each time would have cost at least $50 with the shipping included in

installed the polk's on my sei and couldn't see any difference,so i left orig in and replaced the ones in my Aspy

ufinitelty made a difference because now i can actually tell a difference when i use the tone conrol on the AVC.

bought another set from polk direct (refurbs this time) and paid $37 which includes s/h
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#6 10-30-2009, 12:00 AM,
Awsome speakers! I finally got around to installing the fronts and holy crap! They are really good!
#7 11-25-2009, 07:13 PM,
I installed a set of Iced Audio four inch two way speakers in the front on my Aspy and they work great. You don't have to buy a particular brand to replace them. I paid thirty bucks at a store similar to Wal Mart.
#8 12-22-2009, 06:55 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GPS Audio Output To Headsets or Speakers Aspy/SEI neoracer 6 2,343 01-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  replacement speakers jkredwing 13 4,867 08-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Guest
  Review of Sierra replacement GL1200 speaker grilles. 8 2,907 10-31-2009, 01:00 AM
Last Post: William_86
  J&M handlebar unit review JMCB-2003-DU I like it pretty dwitgoldwing 17 6,776 06-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Last Post: EricGL1200A