Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
FM Modulator
When we were travelling in the US recently we called into a FRY's store where I found an Audiovox FM modulator.
I had been looking to install one of these eventually, when I came across one.
I installed it today and took the bike for a ride to see what it sounded like.
I had a cheaper FM modulator but there always seemed to be a hum, I never bothered to try to fix it because I was going to finally get the Audiovox unit.
I installed it inside the left pocket and made sizable holes to pass the wiring through, the hole in the side of the fairing I will plug up with some of that removable plastic goo they use in the auto industry when the have made too many holes or made a mistake and needed to cover it up Smile
To try the unit I picked (there are only two choices) a frequency that had a strong incoming signal, as soon as I switch the unit on the radio signal ceased and the MP3 player was heard without any interference.
The sound was quite adequate without any (that I could hear) interference, there were filters included with the Modulator.
The only thing I needed to buy was a 1/8 stereo "Y" to male RCA phono. plugs. Usually they are female but I was lucky to find one at Sayal Electronics in Cambride.
Philmore Stereo "Y" adaptor Right angle 3.5mm Stereo plug to 2 RCA plugs Part No 44-345

I am very satisfied with the results although they are not cheap, there is no fiddling with selecting FM frequencies, Once set you switch it on or switch it off.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#1 10-20-2009, 07:03 PM,
What model is the Modulator Tricky?
1985 Limited Edition
#2 10-20-2009, 09:22 PM,
roscoepc Wrote:What model is the Modulator Tricky?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.frys.com/product/5512800?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG">http://www.frys.com/product/5512800?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG</a><!-- m -->

#3 10-21-2009, 12:27 AM,
roscoepc
got one here i bought last summer but didn't install because i ended up using a tapecartridge setup with my itouch,only thing its missing is the mp3 connect cable which u can purchase easily from radio shack or probbaly wallyworld

pm sent
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 10-21-2009, 07:42 AM,
Does your Itouch have Fm modulation built in?

I use my GPS?MP3 player which doesnt.

But I like this unit as it plugs directly into the Antenna and totally blocks any OTA incoming FM transmissions on the frequency you pick.

I do have a tape adapter but never had any success with it.

#5 10-21-2009, 09:56 AM,
no fm modulation but works great with the cassette input good sound output thru the cassette adapter
could be your cassette player needs some work

decided against the audiovox because it was just another electrical connection and would end up using another radio preset
fulltime
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#6 10-21-2009, 12:47 PM,
I never even thought about using a pre-set for the station..... dummy.... I just tune it in, but it would be a lot easier to have the preset, though thats another thing I have to re-set when I take the radio out Smile.
I very seldom use the radio when I have the GPS on anyway.

Probably did need the cassette looking at although I did take it apart and everything looked OK,
What would happen was, I would slide in the cassette adapter and it would play for a while then switch off, I would eject the cassette, push it back in and it would play for a while longer.
I figured the modulator would be easiest way to go.
I never ever did use the cassette player anyway.

#7 10-21-2009, 01:22 PM,
figured sent i spent $185 to sierra when i sent radio in for realignment the other year might as well put the money to good use :YMAPPLAUSE:

on my gps seemed like whatever i station i tuned it to around here i would get local signals messing it up so the cassette/itouch was just a better deal all around
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#8 10-21-2009, 01:49 PM,

If you haven't found one yet Tricky look for an Audiovox FMM100A on amazon.com also
#9 11-14-2009, 01:36 AM,
Avalanche_Jack Wrote:

If you haven't found one yet Tricky look for an Audiovox FMM100A on amazon.com also

See first post

#10 11-14-2009, 07:03 AM,
Neo,
One of the good things about the unit (or likes thereof) is that it blocks the incoming FM signals and then transmits directly to the radio the desired source signal (whatever you have plugged into the unit)...

For those of us that use satellite radio on the bike there is a unit called XM Direct that pretty much does the same thing... It attenuates the external FM signals then transmits, clean and clear, the desired signal (XM radio) directly into the antennas wiring...
Ed Zogg
#11 11-14-2009, 07:07 AM,
tricky Wrote:
Avalanche_Jack Wrote:

See first post

Sorry Tricky I meant Roscoe, the sometimers must have been acting up again @-)
#12 11-16-2009, 07:16 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FM MODULATOR INSTALL.....WHAT A MESS!! 25 7,560 06-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  THE FM Modulator really works! Skymajic 2 1,273 06-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Guest