Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB Feedback in new J&M Headset
Hi all!!

Just upgraded from an 84 GL1200I to an 85 GL1200A. Since I now have the CB and intercom system, I purchased a J&M headset and installed it yesterday. So far so good, then I tried to use it.....

Radio and mp3 player work great through the speakers in the helmet. But, when I press the talk button for the CB I get a loud "feedback" noise in the helmet speakers. Also when riding today with the CB turned on, I started getting the same thing without pressing the talk button.

I pulled the CB, checked all the connectors, disassembled and cleaned the talk/channel assembly. Also tried my helmet on my brothers 89 GL1500 and the headset works just fine, just to be sure used his on my 85 and that one also has the same problem!

PLEASE HELP!!!! Any ideas on what to check next or better yet.... the answer.

Thanks for any assistance and great information here - I have been reading for the last couple of hours.

Larry
#1 05-08-2009, 03:14 PM,
Hi Larry and welcome to the site. There are three knobs on the left side of the panasonic radio. The far left is for volume, but if you notice, the far right that controls headset function on or off also has a volume control. I've found having the headset volume dialed up too high will cause the type of feedback you're describing. Get back to us.
#2 05-08-2009, 04:31 PM,
Plug the headset into the passenger lead and see if you get the same problem, that feedback could be cause by accidental touching of the headset speaker ground and mike ground within the cable ends, you can check the lead with an ohm meter. Not saying this is the problem but could be.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 05-08-2009, 04:33 PM,
The 3rd dial does not stop the problem - tried middle, full on and completely off with no change.

It seems that my passanger lead is not working at all, no radio or anything. Is there anything that has to be "turned on" for the passanger headset? If not will have to tear into that and see if I can make it work.

"the headset speaker ground and mike ground within the cable ends" - The cable ends on the Wing? The cable from the headset to the MC is also new from J&M.

Many thanks!!
#4 05-08-2009, 04:50 PM,
The cables that are on the wing.
The headset seems OK as you have demonstrated by plugging them into another bike.
I just re-read you original post.
Where is this MP3 player hooked up?
Did you do it or was it the previous owner.

Nothing needs turning on for the rear headset to work.

On the original Aspencade the intercom was built into the radio but it required a headset junction box which takes the signal from the radio.

Shown in picture 1 as a dotted line.

When the CB is introduced, picture 2 The headsets then get their signal via a component terminal.

Just curious if the PO had monkeyed with this wiring to install an mp3 player.

Attached Files
.jpg   cb.jpg (Size: 38.25 KB / Downloads: 120)
.jpg   headsets.jpg (Size: 28.07 KB / Downloads: 115)

#5 05-08-2009, 06:25 PM,
Great information, I appreciate it.

I installed the mp3 player, just using an rf modulator plugged into the cigarette lighter for now (I have a wired rf mod on order).

Now the crazy part, I went for a ride tonight and it is now working. I have not clue unless messing with the headset volume button or somehow with plugging into the rear headset changed something.

I'm going for a ride tomorrow so will play with it further and let you know what happens either way.

Thanks again
#6 05-08-2009, 08:18 PM,
OK about the mp3 player, I just wanted to rule it out.

These electrical gremlins can be a pain.

Maybe a thorough cleaning of the connectors under the left pocket wouldnt go amiss.

Now that you have the diagrams you can see what goes where, it's a little daunting when you first look at the rats nest in there but after a while it's not bad.

#7 05-08-2009, 08:22 PM,
Was back to not working this morning, then about 40 miles into the ride it fixed itself again and worked for the rest of the day.

I have found a problem with the mute button, had to play with it to get it to fully un-mute the radio. Since the tx button mutes the stereo - may be the problem. I will tear it apart and clean it. Will let you know if that cures the problem.
#8 05-09-2009, 10:14 PM,