Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
interstate to standard conversion
This is the first time I have ever posted on a forum, so please be patient. I have a 1985 gl1200 interstate with a side car. My wife and I use this rig to run all over K.C. weather permitting. I would like to remove the fairing from it and change the front of my bike to a standard model. It looks the standard parts are rare as hens teeth. I am pretty crafty and thought about trying to modify a gl1100 tank cover to fit. For guages, I would probably try to make cb750 guages work. If anyone has any thoughts about this I would love to here from you.
Thanks, Tony
#1 02-09-2009, 07:06 PM,
Sorry I can't offer any technical advice, Tony, but other members will be along shortly to handle your concerns. In the interim, WELCOME from the West side of Canada.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#2 02-09-2009, 07:31 PM,
Tony,
The headlight mount is 84 "Standard only" as are the horns, turn signal mounts. The trim pieces around the radiator, side reflectors. There is some filler pieces where the neck meets the backbone that are almost impossible to find. The wiring harness has to have a bunch of reworking. The tach is 84 "Standard only" The 1100 tach looks real close but it is mechanical, 84 "Standard" is electrial. I have some parts (false tank, headlight, headlight mount, front turn signals, instrument cluster, speedo(maybe) & tach.

Poorboy
#3 02-09-2009, 07:58 PM,
Poorboy,
Thanks for the reply, would you be interested in selling these parts, or perhaps doing some tradingfor the interstate fairing and the parts I would be removing. Give this a thought and let me know.
However this works out, Thankyou very much, Tony
#4 02-09-2009, 09:26 PM,
Just curious how things are going with the conversion. Do you have any pics?
#5 02-21-2009, 02:37 PM,