Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
speakers popping
Hello I have a popping sound coming threw my speakers when I hit a bump and living in Pennsylvania it happens often. So far I pulled the radio and speaker and instrument cluster, auto volume control and have not found any loose wires but did grease all of them. The only thing I have not checked is the power amp for loose wires. I do not think it is the radio or speakers because when I had it apart I could not make it happen by hitting them. I apologize to her when I was done :lol: :lol: If anyone has a fix or a similar problem let me know.

Thanks Keith
#1 09-10-2008, 05:41 PM,
Take the radio out again and close up the contacts see if that helps, they do get loose after a while with all the bouncing.

IF you have a headset does it happen when you have it on?

PS Dont wake Pete next February.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 09-10-2008, 05:51 PM,
My 84 Aspencade does the same thing. Plays fine when parked, makes
a popping noise when it hits a bump. I checked all the wiring and found nothing.
I figured it must be a bad speaker, but haven't gotten any further yet.

Please post back if you find the fix.
#3 09-11-2008, 02:29 PM,
See my post above
The radio does get bounced around a lot, try closing the contacts a little

#4 09-11-2008, 02:43 PM,
I had the same problem with mine. Checked the wiring, closed the contacts, pulled, pushed, etc. Finally found that the problem was a short where the wires go into the top of the CB. I tried to fix it but no joy. Since I don't use the CB very often anyway, I just bypassed the CB. Everything else works as advertised and no more pops or static.

I don't know if Sierra still works on these things. If so I might send it in for repair.
#5 09-11-2008, 04:00 PM,
Could you describe which wires are going into the TOP of the CB?
The CB has a main plug and thats all the wiring. Only thing above the CB is the AVC and tone control and the Junction box at the back of the CB

Attached Files
.gif   cb3.gif (Size: 19.12 KB / Downloads: 72)

#6 09-11-2008, 07:49 PM,
Mine was popping on bumps also. I found the antenna cable was loose. I stuck my pocket knife under the little side tabs on the male plug and spread them out a little.No more popping :wink:
“A good traveler has no fixed plans,and is not intent on arriving”~ Lao Tzu ~
[Image: 16hvxut.jpg]
[Image: 15r1pnl.jpg]
In Stable
1985 GL1200 Interstate(RIP)
2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650(Wife's Bike)
#7 09-12-2008, 05:44 AM,
Thanks guys, I took the radio out, Used a very small flat blade screwdriver to open the contacts a small amount, lightly sanded the contacts with fine sandpaper, and then cleaned everything with contact cleaner spray.
I also sprayed the connections that the radio plugs into, could not get into there enough to try to open the contacts on that connector. Dried things off with my trusty yard blower. Took for a test drive and everything works.
#8 09-15-2008, 03:17 PM,
Excellent

#9 09-15-2008, 04:16 PM,
Hello just wanted to say thanks, opened the contacts and seems to be better Big Grin
#10 09-15-2008, 05:11 PM,