Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB Can't receive through the headsets.
I have a 1986 Goldwing Asp with a factory installed CB. I am unable to recieve via the headset.(s) Driver or passenger. However I can transmit to other CB radios through the helmet mike(s) driver and passenger

I can transmit and receive ok via the external speakers
The radio and intercom operate ok via the heasets and the speakers.

I have checked all of the connections and I am stumped as to what to check next

Any one with any ideas

Shoe
#1 08-02-2008, 12:02 PM,
u didn't mention anything about the radio,can u hear fine thru it -- it works okay thru the fairing
speakers right? if the radio and cb works thru the fairing it has to be a problem with the audio ouput and the connnection after the place where the radio and cb audio get distributed--which is in the area of the power amplifier--have u done anything in the area of the left fairing pocket or taken the false gastank off lately---- my suggestion would be to call siearra electroncs and talk to their radio/cb tech --think his name is mike
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 08-02-2008, 01:54 PM,
I can hear the radio through the headset speakers fine. It also works fine through the fairing speakers. The intercom works perfectly. I have all of the connection dwgs and I have even removed the cb and checked all of the connections. I was the one who originally installed this radio several years ago and have had no problems until now. In fact I had this radio repaired at Sierra prior to the initial installation.

I initally had a problem with feedback a week or so ago when I transmitted but it cleared up and the radio worked fine. Now this.

I will have a look around to see if there is something I may have missed and then I will call Mike. It would be nice to pin down the problem area first. It may be something simple

Thanks for the feed back(no pun intended)
#3 08-02-2008, 02:33 PM,
clean and lightly lube your headset connectors again with some dielectric grease...didn't by any chance get caught in the rain lately or wash the bike did u?
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 08-02-2008, 03:13 PM,
The CB provides signal to the headset separately than to the speakers. Pin 6 on the 6 pin DIN provides the signal to the multichanger. either the cb has quit sending this signal or the multichanger box is acting up.

This is why you can hear over the speakers and not the headsets. The signal for the speakers comes to the multichanger via pin 1 of the 5 pin din and is routed to the power amp.

You could check the main plug on the CB to see if the contacts are nice and tight. Pin N on the main plug to the CB is the one that carries the headset signal to the 6 pin DIN

Checkout the multichanger diagram

Attached Files
.gif   cb4.gif (Size: 30.49 KB / Downloads: 89)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 08-02-2008, 03:59 PM,
Thanks for all of the input guys

I will check out the multichanger.I think I have a spare. I just finished removing the cb and checking all of the connections(main harness looks ok).
I now get a squeal when try to use the PTT switch. (driver and passenger)

I have a J&M mike system that I hooked up to see what happens when I use the handheld mike using the external speakers. I am able to transmit fine with no feed back.

Something is loose or acting up someplace. I had this feedback problem a couple of weeks ago when I went out for a ride and all of a sudden it cleared up

I have all of Jim Davis dwgs. I used them to connect Cb when I installed in the first place.
but unfortunately I didn't know which pins to look at. Thanks for the heads up

I haven't had the bike out in rain in the last couple of years. In fact I haven't been riding hardly at all. My first thought was mice but that wasn't the case.

I have extra headsets and I have tried them all with the same result

Probably just hit a good bump Wink Might try to find another one Smile

Fun and games

Shoe
#6 08-02-2008, 06:18 PM,
I have no idea how the J&M handheld hooks up and into what wires. A squealing can be caused by the mike ground touching the headset ground. They are separate birds and cant be mixed.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#7 08-02-2008, 08:16 PM,