Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB and mic question
I have installed a CB in my SEI that did not have one. It is all hooked up right, and seems to work well except for one thing.

When it is receiving it opens the mic fully so when you hear someone talk you also get the mic noise. This comes over the speakers and the headset. I also hear the CB on the speakers and head set at the same time when the radio is set to the speaker mode. When i change it to the head set I only hear in the head set, but I still get the mic noise.

Is this normal, or do I have a bad componet? I would think that the mic would only open on transmission not receiving. It does not matter what the intecom volume is set at 0.
#1 08-02-2008, 08:20 AM,
sounds like somwheres there is a bad ground connection
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 08-02-2008, 02:03 PM,
Put your location the your profile.

Although I am not an electrical tech, looking at the multichanger box there is a switching that might be turned to open (SWITCH OFF) the mic circuit when receiving on the CB. Look at the diagram and trace pin 1 (red) on both headsets, as shown it seems the circuit is closed so that the intercom is working using the junction box. When you push the PTT button it could throw the switch over to the CB, this would still allow both rider and passenger to hear either or both talking and also send the mic output to the CB.

This is an assumption Smile

Possibly the relay (center of diagram) is stuck in the CB position. It is controlled by the CB using pin 5 on the CB set (6 pin) DIN plug.

I would pull apart all the cables in the left pocket and check for corrosion on any of the connections see if that helps. These bikes are getting on in years and do tend to get some moisture inside the fairing.
I do coat mine with electrical grease to try to prevent the corrosion.

Attached Files
.gif   cb4.gif (Size: 30.49 KB / Downloads: 66)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 08-02-2008, 02:51 PM,
Thanks for the diagram. All the connections are clean, I just replaced the entire fairing and installed the CB. I will check the pins with the diagram. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't supposed to do that before I tore back into it.
#4 08-05-2008, 04:57 AM,