Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hand mic
Okay I have a 85 aspy and all the cb and radio works except the tape deck so , is there a way to use a hand mic instead of the headset? would work well at the rallies when your at camp and others are trying to find your camp , but not having to sit on the bike while you wait to get a call ...just a thought 73 ...jim and does anyone have a blue trunk lid for the aspy that is the same color as Tricky's lol our bikes look like twins 73de kb9apc :?
#1 07-12-2008, 06:27 AM,
It is possible, I did it some years back. You can hook one up basically it's like adding a third passenger without the headset.
It entails making a shielded harness to plug in between the 5 pin outlet on the fairing and the headset that you use on the helmet.

Tracing the wires that go from the push to talk button and splice into them with the wire from the PTT button on the mike.
I found using a 4 pin mike from radio shack the easiest to use

Use a 5 PIN DIN male plug, Two 5 pin DIN female plug A 5 short lengths of thin wire, identify which are the mike wires on the system.
4 short wires from one of the 5 Pin female plugs, identifying which wires are the mike and ground and which are the PTT on the Rad Shack mike plug connect the mike wires to the corresponding wires on the first section ( see diagram) and leav enough wire to go to splice into the PTT wires on the bike, best to do it under the false tank where the connector is. Be careful not to connect to the opposite two they are the up and down channel changing wires.

The harness doesnt have to be very long, just enough to push into existing female and the other two to lay side by side on the fairing pocket, identified which is which with a piece of colored tape.

Yeah clear as mud huh?

Attached Files
.jpg   headsetwires.jpg (Size: 30.51 KB / Downloads: 168)
.jpg   mike wiring.jpg (Size: 70.41 KB / Downloads: 177)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 07-12-2008, 10:05 AM,
Welcome to the forum James. You just need to talk your friends into getting licensed and get some REAL RADIOS instead of the "Chicken Band" :wink: Welcome again to the forum. 73 de KD5VHF Big Grin
“A good traveler has no fixed plans,and is not intent on arriving”~ Lao Tzu ~
[Image: 16hvxut.jpg]
[Image: 15r1pnl.jpg]
In Stable
1985 GL1200 Interstate(RIP)
2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650(Wife's Bike)
#3 07-12-2008, 02:21 PM,
I have a hand mic on my bike, it came with the bike, I only used it once to see if it worked. I just hooked up head sets on my wife and my helmets today, works great. I was going to disconnect the hand mic but maybe keeping it active would be a good idea.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#4 07-12-2008, 07:04 PM,
I set up a few bikes with the hand mike using that method many moons ago. Is your done the same way? I did hear of an after market system but never saw one in action.

#5 07-12-2008, 08:25 PM,
tricky Wrote:I set up a few bikes with the hand mike using that method many moons ago. Is your done the same way? I did hear of an after market system but never saw one in action.

I am not sure how it is wired but I can follow the wires and let you know if you want. Here is how it is set up. There is a connector coming out by the left faring pocket for the hand mic. There is two connectors coming out from under the seat for the driver and passenger head sets. The hand mic connector works for the CB only; there is a talk button on the left side of the handle bars for the driver to talk on the CB and a push button on the left side of the seat for the passenger to talk on the CB. I just set up new head sets for the driver and passenger and everything seems to work properly. The intercom is clear, the music comes out loud and clear and the CB works as well.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#6 07-12-2008, 09:54 PM,
Does the hand mike PTT button work or do you still need to use the PTT button on the handlebar while using the mike.

#7 07-13-2008, 04:10 AM,
tricky Wrote:Does the hand mike PTT button work or do you still need to use the PTT button on the handlebar while using the mike.

The hand mic PTT button does work.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#8 07-13-2008, 06:52 AM,
I wonder if it is one of the bikes I fitted with a hand mike, most of them were in the Toronto wide area, It wouldnt be a radio shack mike would it Smile

#9 07-13-2008, 07:33 PM,
The hand mic is a realistic. The bike had 2 P/Os and they were friends. The first owner died and the second owner got the bike. The second owner lives in Port Dover that is where I got the bike from. He was an active member in Steve Saunders site. If you want his name PM me and I will give it to you. If it one of the bikes you did it really works well.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#10 07-13-2008, 09:16 PM,
Yes realistic is the Radio shack brand, I wonder who the first PO was?

#11 07-14-2008, 05:26 AM,
I will see if I can find out.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#12 07-14-2008, 08:34 AM,
Mike I am putting an old Icom o2at handheld on it and a 5/8 wave ant on the other side of the bike but as far as MY FRIENDS getting on the ham bands oh no that wouldn't be good lol they not that smart no use ruining ham radio for the rest of us hi hi thanks guys for the info now where is that 1ØØ watt soldering gun at ? 73...jim :wink:
#13 07-15-2008, 09:43 AM,
Hey Jim, and howdy de N9SLE.

I plan on putting a comet 1/2wave VHF/UHF antenna on the left side of my LTD and installing a Yaesu FTM-10r dual-bander on the bike.

There's a guy out west who put in a toggle switch on his CB controller which allowed him to use the channel up/down and PTT on another radio (Kenwood). I intend to make similar modifications so I can use the same PTT switch. Likely I'll just make my own multiplexer / multiswitch I think Honda calls it with an extra input for the 2m/440 rig.

Good luck and 73
#14 07-15-2008, 10:03 AM,