Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
headset noise
How do i get the motor or ststic noise out of the intercom is there a way to shield the wires?? Noise is not to bad if intercom is turned down kind of low and there is no noise in the radio. Thanks me and the wife love the J&M headsets but would like to tudn them up a little more hearing challenged you know.
#1 06-01-2008, 04:58 PM,
Does the noise disappear when you apply the brakes?
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 06-01-2008, 07:36 PM,
Yes it does i forgot to add that.
#3 06-02-2008, 03:44 PM,
It is a common problem, there was at one time a filter made by J&M but is no longer available.

You can try this and see if it works.

Take a length of wire and add eyelets to it and starting at the neg - acc terminal then connect the wire to the wingnut holding the air filter then to the screw at the regulator, (there might already be a ground there) then onto the front seat mounting bolt.

A long shot but might help.

The problem is caused by the regulator shunting the unused current from the alternator to ground.
You can also add a couple of small lights to take up this current but be careful not to discharge the battery, ideal if you have an on board volt meter to monitor the battery.

This is why I asked if the interference disappeared when you applied the brake ( the brake lights come on) and use up the current.

While your working on the bike check the state of the plug connecting the 3 yellow wires on the left side of the battery also check the state of the plug where the solenoid is (right side of the battery)

#4 06-02-2008, 04:01 PM,
interesting i didnt know how that worked. i will try your trick and ask a couple of mechanac wizzes i know about it. Truth is we can live with the problem but i like things to be right. Also i replaced the stattor and the three wires by the stattor were like new but ones by the regulator were what killed it. To bad i didnt know about this web site untill it was to late. thanks i will let you know what happens.
#5 06-02-2008, 05:12 PM,
Tried the ground thing seems about the same not to bad so going to let well enough alone thanks for the help this is a great site.
#6 06-09-2008, 06:07 PM,
Another trick is to add a couple of small lights to use up the excess current, you need a volt meter to ensure you dont use up too much though

#7 06-10-2008, 07:36 AM,
talked to a honda tech today he says to ground the antane to the main frame better soon as i get time i will let you know how it works. I think the base not the antane it self..
#8 06-12-2008, 03:21 PM,