Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Is she running too lean
Before I did my carbs, the bike was running rich because the needles were worn, causing a raw fuel smell out the back and poor millage.

My bike seems to be running too lean now. When cruising in 4th, or any gear really, and then increasing the throttle quickly, there is a slight hesitation before it gets going.
As well when going up a hill it seems to lack the get up and go it used to have requiring a gear down where one should'nt be needed. Also getting some pinging as well.
I did a carb sync, ( a few times ) and played around with different idle screw settings, trying to richin it up, resyncing each time. I'm at 3 turnes out right now 0n each carb now but the engine just dosn't seem to be operating properly. When I adjust the idle screws according to the 50rpm drop producure in the beginning, it seemed to run a little smoother but seemed to ping more.

There was a post somewhere about putting washers underneith the needles to richin up the main jets. I wonder if this might help.
My only question is if I put new needles in, ( OEM ), should that not have restored original performance?
Maybe there is another problem somewhere else however the only thing that has changed from before I did the carbs when it had good performance (and the raw fuel smell), is the replacing of worn needles, ( raw fuel smell gone ),but with this new problem.
HELP

#1 05-25-2008, 03:50 AM,
Bluesman, did you ever get to try the washers? If so, did you notice an improvement?
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#2 05-27-2008, 04:29 PM,
Yes I just picked them up this week.
I'm still exploring all other possiblities before I try the washers.
The journey chosen will determine the destination.
#3 05-27-2008, 06:53 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Running Lean RuninWideOpen 6 2,308 03-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Last Post: neoracer
  Slightly Lean Off Idle A Rozanski 7 3,143 11-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Last Post: BearOnt