Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antenna's
Why do some bikes have Antenna's on the left, some on the right, and some have both? The reason I ask is my bike has one on the left , but does not seem to pick up stations very well. I was wondering if this might be because this side is for a CB?
Thanks,
Hamish
#1 06-24-2008, 01:03 AM,
The Aspencade and LTD models came with one antenna on the right side, when the option for the CB was purchased it came with an antenna cable splitter. For normal purposes this was fine, the CB is good for riding in a group but doesn't have a great range. Riders added an antenna on the left so that both the CB and the radio had their own antenna, it really didn't improve reception or transmission a great deal. Some riders added the left antenna for show. When an Interstate rider added a radio he added a left side after market antenna bracket it being cheaper than the Honda right side antenna bracket , the right side bracket not being available after market, there really is no call for it.

As far as FM reception this could be the radio itself or antenna cabling, I have the Apencade model but very seldom use the radio function any more as I use an MP3 player with an FM modulator, I don't remember a problem with the reception other than the fact over in N America there are many stations with very localized broadcasting and when riding on an interstate road one would be for ever tuning into different stations. In the UK this might not be a problem, it's a long time since I was there and then there was only a couple of BBC stations to tune in anyway Smile and my bike then didnt have a radio Smile Triumph Tigers didnt have radio's
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 06-24-2008, 05:42 AM,
i added the left antenna for looks its not wired up
'75cb750 ,'79cb750superK,
'93gl1500se, '79cb 750f,
'85cb450sc, '05sunL70
'06 ST 1300....william
#3 06-24-2008, 06:22 AM,
So this perked my attention a bit... When I get the wing all settled here in the garage I plan to add a VHF/UHF ham band transceiver to the bike. I was almost expecting that I'd have to fabricate an antenna mount, but if there are left-hand side mounts out there for the LTD, I would much rather pay for something chrome Smile

Any ideas where I could find such a thing?
#4 06-24-2008, 07:18 AM,
In sourcing out a CB antenna, I was given a lesson on the operation of CB antennas from various online sources and especially from a fellow at Durham Radio in Whitby, ON. The main problem with CBs on bikes is there is not a viable mass to create an effective ground plane which the CB antenna needs for transmission. I ended up going with a double antenna set-up: one for CB and one for AM/FM, which I was told that the sencond antenna may absorb enough of the CB transmission to cause havoc with both AM/FM reception as well as CB transmission. I went with a pair of Wilson's Tunable Tip fexible antennas. I'm also going with a simple 1" square aluminum tube for a mounting bracket. Mainly, I just wanted the look of two antennas, so if it's an issue I'll end up disconnecting the AM/FM and have the CB only operational. However, I'm optimistic all will be fine with some attention to detail. I intend to give each antenna mount its own independent frame ground and run the opposing coax cables down each side of the bike to keep them apart as much as possible. That and keeping my fingers crossed! Smile
Scotty P
Grafton, Ontario, Canada
1997 GL1500 SE
Gone, but not forgotten:
1985 GL1200I
1985 GL1200A
[Image: ON13_Avatar.jpg]
My Red Knights Chapter
My Professional Page
Facebook & LinkedIn
#5 06-24-2008, 07:40 AM,
scty_p Wrote:In sourcing out a CB antenna, I was given a lesson on the operation of CB antennas from various online sources and especially from a fellow at Durham Radio in Whitby, ON. The main problem with CBs on bikes is there is not a viable mass to create an effective ground plane which the CB antenna needs for transmission. I ended up going with a double antenna set-up: one for CB and one for AM/FM, which I was told that the sencond antenna may absorb enough of the CB transmission to cause havoc with both AM/FM reception as well as CB transmission. I went with a pair of Wilson's Tunable Tip fexible antennas. I'm also going with a simple 1" square aluminum tube for a mounting bracket. Mainly, I just wanted the look of two antennas, so if it's an issue I'll end up disconnecting the AM/FM and have the CB only operational. However, I'm optimistic all will be fine with some attention to detail. I intend to give each antenna mount its own independent frame ground and run the opposing coax cables down each side of the bike to keep them apart as much as possible. That and keeping my fingers crossed! Smile

Honestly, the elements aren't far enough apart for the left side of the bike to interfere with the right side. CB is about an 11 meter wavelength. In order to get any reflection or direction the next element would have to be farther than that apart. What you've been told about the ground plane is mostly true though. If you can get a 1/2⋌ (wavelength) antenna, that does not really require an independent ground plane. That is because your feed point is at a relatively high capacitance point and that would be considered 'voltage fed'.

The Goldwing has a LOT more metal than my VStar 1100 custom which I have a very short (13") helical wound CB antenna on. I can get out almost a mile on the VStar. If you're not getting out very well, check your SWR at the feed point into the CB. The antenna could be out of tune.. Also, you may have a bad transmission feed cable. Check to see if there is continuity of both conductors all the way from the PL259 connector on the CB back to the antenna. Finally check to make sure there isn't a short in the feed line and that all the connectors are tight at the antenna mount point. Bikes tend to vibrate more than automobiles, and connections find themselves working loose.. I've worked on several harley davidson motorcycles that have had that exact problem (of course your wing shouldn't vibrate as much as an HD) Smile

HTH
#6 06-24-2008, 04:10 PM,