Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
After market CB on 85 LTD
I bought an after market CB from Cycle comunications by Air rider inc.
After trying to install it on my bike the manufacturer told me it is incompatable with the LTD.
Seems the reason is that the 5pin din coming out of the CB is male and the 5 pin din on the bike is male.

Here are my questions

Is the 5 pin din on an oem CB male?
Is the 5 pin din that plugs into the CB radio on interstate aspencade LTD different?
What all is coming out of the back of an OEM CB?
My rear arm rest has 4 connections: As follows

One is a cord with a male 5 pin din
One is a electrical wires with a plug in connector.( passenger PTT connection?)
One is a female 5 pin din marked HS (head set I assume).
One is a 5 pin din of a different configuration marked PC (volume control??)

From what I can tell if I buy an OEM radio I will still need a cb radio multi changer
what does that do? Maybe this after market need that to work?
Then I need a wire harness.
Then I need A PTT
Then an antena
What else would I have to buy?

Wayne
#1 04-04-2008, 08:26 AM,
Check out the diagram and figure out what you have and then you can see what you need.
If you have the Intercom and headsets then you will need CB, multi changer and main CB cable, PTT
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://usera.imagecave.com/trickyone/accesories.jpg">http://usera.imagecave.com/trickyone/accesories.jpg</a><!-- m -->
Your bike sounds like it originally had CB on so if you investigate you may find it has the multi changer and main cable.
Dig around in the left side under the pocket and see what is in there.
Under the left passenger storage pocket, is a round connection box that accomodates the passenger controller, It works along side the PTT button shown at the bottom right of the diagram
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 04-04-2008, 10:13 AM,
I have 2 LTD's one for parts,
between the two ltd's I have,

Distributor ant,
radio assembly
auto volume (Contained in the trip computer??) what is the volume control at the CB in the mounting cover
power amp ( pretty sure thats the little box in left fairing with red tape with speaker wires)
headset junction box.
ptt switch

looks to me like if I buy the seperate components off ebay in order to have a functioning CB I need to purchase

CB
multi changer box
wiring harness

Any thing else I would have to have not including passenger controls?

would I have auto volume with cb?
could I have the fm radio coming out speakers and cb out the headset and or visa versa or both coming out one?
Can the intercom come out speakers or headset?

Wayne
#3 04-04-2008, 12:06 PM,
The two knobs over the where the CB is installed are a tone control (very little difference but there is some) and the other controls the level at which the ATV operates, turned clockwise increase the volume.
Not sure about the LTD with regards to the CB
The diagram concerns the Aspencade.
But pretty certain that the three things you mention are what you need.
I do have the passenger control which was used for one or to times then removed from the bike and stored inside. It has a PTT button, Passenger Volume control and map light. The volume control will only adjust the passenger level.
If you didnt use the passenger controller then a separate PTT button would be required, this mounts on the passenger hand rail.
The Intercom is between the headsets. During CB TX or RX the good time ( Honda description) will mute. During CB TX anything spoken by passenger or driver will emanate over the air.
The CB will come out of the radio speakers AND the headsets, there is a volume control on the CB which controls the amount of volume heard over the headsets also a master volume control on the CB.

There is a Hondaline audio manual at: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://goldwing.soylentgeek.com/">http://goldwing.soylentgeek.com/</a><!-- m -->
under this heading "Honda Goldwing GL1200 83 Audio Installation Manual (2.5M)" mistakenly called (83)
There are some other manuals that may be of interest to the LTD owner

The multichanger resides to the front of the main power amp on the inner wall of the left side pocket.
You may see two holes where it lives if you look down the steering well (one hidden by the fairing frame) Prior to installation of the CB option these two holes are covered by two round pieces of stick on black plastic

#4 04-04-2008, 05:03 PM,
Ok, I bought a CB off Fleabay today.
There is a multy changer on e bay also.
From what I see on the image cave image the component in the center called the terminal component
is the closest thing to the component on ebay <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CB-RADIO-INTERCOM-MULTI-CHANGER-GL1200-GL-1200-GOLDWING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQihZ016QQitemZ260225642401QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CB-RADIO ... enameZWDVW</a><!-- m -->
The component on ebay called multi changer is not shown anywhere in the CB diagrams.
The terminal connection in the diagram looks like it has 7 wires coming out of it. the multi changer on ebay looks like it has 5 wires coming out.
Do I need the component listed on ebay called multi changer and is it the same component as the terminal component?

Thanks
Wayne
#5 04-06-2008, 08:05 AM,
Some call it multi-changer some call it terminal component

I think here are five actual wires and two 5pin sockets that the CB main cable plugs into

You will see the two plugs on the left side in this diagram.

Attached Files
.gif   cb1.gif (Size: 9.48 KB / Downloads: 377)

#6 04-06-2008, 08:35 AM,
Thanks for all the great info tricky,
You have been a lifesaver on this issue.
I think I know what I stil need now. (The, Multi changer And the CB wire harness should give me driver CB)
Interested in selling/trading the passenger controller?
Those installation instructions will likley be handy when I go to Install the CB.
It's almost impossible to belive it takes so many wires, components and connections to intall a CB.

Thanks again
Wayne
#7 04-06-2008, 08:57 AM,
page 27 of the Hondalineaudio pdf shows the layout, it might help a little more.
In order to get the CB or sound to the passenger you will need a 5 pin Din extension cable but this is the same one that would be used for the intercom.

If you look on page 24 of the Hondalineaudio pdf you will see how the terminal component fits and is wired up.
Page 30 will show you the passenger hookup for the PTT button.
There should be a brown two pin connector under the seat.

Not sure you would need the controller it is an extra option over and above the CB itself. You might need to make up a connector cable from that round thing under the passenger arm rest to connect to the 2 pin brown connector.
page 33 shows you the way it is connected. The controller comes with the PTT button, volume control and a map light which requires 2 AA BAT's.

If you can't find a Hondaline PTT switch and decide not to use the Passenger controller a simple normally off push button switch might be used. All it does is close the two wires in the brown plug.

This is what the passenger controller looks like.

Attached Files
.jpg   controller.jpg (Size: 149.5 KB / Downloads: 89)

#8 04-06-2008, 02:31 PM,
Ok, I bought a CB off flea bay.It has arrived I printed the instructions. From what I can see the instructions are pre 1985 LTD.
The 1985 LTD has the trip computer. The trip computer has a control for fader and balance it has an auto volume control too. It also has a tone control. Can I assume that I remove and discard (sell on ebay) the volume control attached to the CB? I am still looking for a multi changer. Will the CB work without the multi changer? IUf so what functions will be missing?

Wayne
#9 04-10-2008, 02:47 PM,
If you got the mounting plate with the CB and that has the two controls in, maybe you can discard if you have the LTD, I have the Aspy so I wouldnt know.
Will the CB work without the multichanger, did you look at the above diagrams, I am sure Honda would not have added the multichanger if it wasnt needed.

(I If so what functions would be missing) The CB for one. It uses the multichanger to mute the sound coming from the radio and passes on the sound from the CB to the power amp.
[Image: cb4.gif]

#10 04-10-2008, 05:48 PM,