Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
CB Install
After 20+ years of "being without" I have bought another bike, a 41k mile pretty little 1986 GL1200 Interstate. Bike has the original, and all working AM/FM cassette unit, intercom and cables. Mute function works, and bar mounted channel up-down for radio seems to function just fine, bike has an aftermarket (but looks good) CB anntenna system that work well with an old CB I had laying around. I've got JM HSBCD257 headsets and proper cables comming for our new helmets.
Here is the question, does the OEM CB like this; " EBay Item number: 260210952756" just plug into existing cable, do I need other parts?
Figure you guys would know. I thought the bar mounted JM unit might be another solution but a $600+ investment bypassing my functioning radio and intercom seems like overkill.

Ed
MABAS 25 HazMat "if its glowing - we're going"
#1 02-13-2008, 04:18 PM,
Welcome to the Site! The one thing that I can think of that you would need is a PTT switch for the left handlebar, If, you've got the stock intercom system. Tricky or someone should come along shortly with more and better advise on the subject.

One other thing to consider, I've not heard of anyone having too much with used OEM units. Airrider makes a unit that is almost identical to the stock CB that I'm gonna get one day, but as it's about $600.00 also, that day is in the future!!!!! :mrgreen:
1985 Limited Edition
#2 02-13-2008, 10:39 PM,
Your Interstate did not come with the stock radio as original equipment, it was added either as an option or at a later date by a previous owner.
The auto volume control will not work as it need input from the digital speedometer which the Interstate doesnt have. Other than that I presume everything will work OK providing there is an intercom junction box, obviously if the cables are there the box must be.

That is the stock CB that is showing there, you would also need what is known as the terminal component.
Check to see if it is on the bike.
It is located forward of the power amplifier for the radio on the inner wall on the left side of the fairing.

[Image: accesories.jpg]
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 02-14-2008, 06:56 AM,
OK in looking inside I have a unit marked RD-1103 which I thought was the power amp (it has the auto volume and tone control pods and external knobs), from it appear to come the round 5 pin connectors for helmet plug ins. Inside and forward of that ahead of a coupe of fuses is mounted a large finned metal box with grn/grn w bkl trace and whi gray (?) wires exiting it is that the power amp instead?
It's getting confusing isn't it.....

Ed
'86 GL1200 I
http://www.alpacanation.com/appletreealpacas.asp

MABAS 25 HazMat
"If it's glowing - I'm going"
#4 02-14-2008, 04:08 PM,
I need the harness that connects the C.B. to the system,

If anyone runs across one, please let me know.

Thanks
jim
#5 02-14-2008, 04:53 PM,
Mr. Ed Wrote:OK in looking inside I have a unit marked RD-1103 which I thought was the power amp (it has the auto volume and tone control pods and external knobs), from it appear to come the round 5 pin connectors for helmet plug ins. Inside and forward of that ahead of a coupe of fuses is mounted a large finned metal box with grn/grn w bkl trace and whi gray (?) wires exiting it is that the power amp instead?
It's getting confusing isn't it.....

Ed

The unit with the knobs is the auto volume control, it has one female and one male 5 PIN DIN connectors. I think if you look at this diagram
[Image: basicradio.jpg]
you will see that you have the basic setup WITHOUT the intercom.
If you want the Honda intercom you would need the headset junction box (shown in the first diagram).
If you want the cb, you would need the CB unit, the cables (which L.E.D. is looking for) and the Terminal component.

Look at the picture here, if this is what you have then you do have the AVC and the headset junction box underneath.

[Image: avcheadstjunctionbx.jpg]

EBAY sallers seem to be notorious in splitting up the CB option as it was sold by HONDA probably in order to enrich themselves even furthur.

The finned object you see is the power amp.

If you want an integrated unit, I would look to an aftermarket company unit that would work with your Honda radio.

BIG $$$

If you want a CB do as others have done, buy a relatively cheap unit and mount it sideways and adapt it to a headset.

Unfortunately I doubt this would provide you with an intercom.

#6 02-14-2008, 05:55 PM,
The passenger's Push-to-talk button might be missed by passengers on the back of a bike where custom CB installs have been done. Just something to think about.
Paul
'86 SEi
#7 02-14-2008, 06:18 PM,
RustyTheDog Wrote:The passenger's Push-to-talk button might be missed by passengers on the back of a bike where custom CB installs have been done. Just something to think about.

It is easy to install any type of Push on/normally off button and just wire it up to the wires on the driver PTT, thats how the wiring is done on the Honda setup

#8 02-14-2008, 06:51 PM,
tricky Wrote:just wire it up to the wires on the driver PTT, thats how the wiring is done on the Honda setup

You mean it opens both helmet microphones to transmit? I haven't tried it but that seems a little odd.
Paul
'86 SEi
#9 02-14-2008, 08:27 PM,
You would need two cb's if you wanted that option.
If you trace the passenger connection W and G wires you will see they are connected to the driver connections.

If you key the mike and your passenger talks at the same time you can walk over each other.

When I noticed that years ago, thats how I figured out I could add a hand held mike providing it had just 4 wires, it was as if you were just adding a third passenger. I made a harness to plug the mike in and connected to the mike circuit, I could unplug the hand set or have it plugged in and continue using both headsets. If I was waiting for people to show up and was standing beside the bike without the helmet on, I just used the hand held and I listened to the CB over the speakers.

#10 02-14-2008, 08:50 PM,
Interesting.

So if I try to tell my passenger that I think some truck driver drives like a stupid sonofa#@&%, and the passenger keys the mike at the same time, the trucker's gonna hear my opinion. And I have to watch what my passenger says when I key the mike too.

That's handy to know before an embarrassing situation occurs.
Paul
'86 SEi
#11 02-14-2008, 09:22 PM,
And then you have to slow down quick before he throws something at you Big Grin
#12 02-14-2008, 10:03 PM,
L.E.D.tech Wrote:And then you have to slow down quick before he throws something at you Big Grin

Not if you're ahead of him!!!!!!!!! Tongue Tongue
1985 Limited Edition
#13 02-14-2008, 10:26 PM,
RustyTheDog Wrote:Interesting.

So if I try to tell my passenger that I think some truck driver drives like a stupid sonofa#@&%, and the passenger keys the mike at the same time, the trucker's gonna hear my opinion. And I have to watch what my passenger says when I key the mike too.

That's handy to know before an embarrassing situation occurs.

Ahh yes but unless there is only one truck in sight which trucker is going to think that your talking about him...... then again you could have just watched the movie Duel Smile

#14 02-15-2008, 06:06 AM,