Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Honda headsets or Autocom system?
The wifes decided she would like to start coming on the Wing with me in the summer, but I'm not sure whether to try and get some Honda headsets and use the on bike system, or get the Autocom system. The Autocom 200 Duo systems seems quite good for £116 all in, as you can use a mobile phone, MP3, etc. I'm just not sure as I have never used any Intercom before.
Any advice or opinions?
Thanks,
Hamish
#1 02-08-2008, 02:58 PM,
Not being ones for music when we're on the road, we went with the IMC setup which hooks right in to the Honda system. We can chat and use the cb just fine. You can have a look at <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.imc-electronics.com">http://www.imc-electronics.com</a><!-- w --> Very good quality and reasonably priced.
#2 02-21-2008, 05:16 PM,
Thanks Ian. I have opted for the Autocom system which I have just installed. I'll see how it performs in the spring.
Hamish
#3 02-21-2008, 11:51 PM,
Post a report once you've tested the Autocom, Hamish. They'll be lots in interest, I suspect.
#4 02-22-2008, 11:04 AM,
Here is how my install went.

I brought an Autocom active 7 system complete with 1 headset and mic from ebay for £36 ($71 Can). I have it fitted into the tool tray, which I cut a slot into for the power and headset cables to exit. The unit is wired via an in-line fuse to the accessories output on the fuse box. Both headset cables are then routed under the seat exiting on the left, the rides connector in front of the left pannier, the passengers is taped above the pannier.

Hi have a Nolan flip up full face helmet. Fitting the speakers and mic was simply a matter of removing the 2 pads that were fitted in the recess for the speakers and routing the speakers to the correct positon and fixing to the velcro already in the helmet. The mic fits between the helmet and cheek pad, with all the extra cabling stuffed behind the padding around the back of the neck.

The position of the mic in relation to you mouth is critical according to the instructions, there is a 'loud' spot just a few mm from the mouth where the mic works best in 'vox' mod, trial and error finds the best place for yourself.

Using an in-line stereo cable I fitted my IRiver H340 to the Autocom, the music came through loud and clear, speaking over the music reduces the music volume by around half, allowing for a conversation with your passenger, or another bike if you have a CB radio fitted via the accessories cable.

I would recommend the Autocom Active 7 unit to any bike rider.
#5 02-24-2008, 07:55 AM,
I fitted mine in a similar to way to Glen's but located the unit in the right hand fairing pocket. Everything works well, the VOX and headset volume are adjustable and the sound quality is very good from the headset. I've also got my mobile phone connected which I'm not sure is a good idea as I know get calls from the wife with the dreaded phrase

'Where are you? Your out on that bloody bike again, get home!'

The phone is set to auto answer and sits in the tool box under the false tank. I can't work out how to get it voice dial but I'll sort that out soon.
My only disappointment is that I'd hoped to be able to use the Goldwings Music system, but when I connected this up with a made up lead, I got loads of electrical interference, so I have gone down the MP3 route for the time being.

If anybody out there has any suggestions about where I could get a quality lead with a 5 pin Din male socket to a 3.5mm stereo plug that would eliminate electrical interference, could you let me know.

Thanks,
Hamish
#6 03-06-2008, 02:37 AM,
Hi all: I just wanted to chime in on the discussion, I just bought a set of headsets,
Scala rider team set by Cardo wireless, they are an intercom and I can place and receive calls through the bluetooth feature on my cell phone, these things are great.
The volume automatically adjusts for the noise level in your surroundings, and the dial feature for the cell works great either by name dial or digit dial. their range is 30 feet from one headset to another. great value for the price.
Mark
If everybody subscribed to the theory of an eye for an eye, the world would eventually be blind.
http://usera.imagecave.com/redwing1984/
#7 03-14-2008, 02:19 PM,