Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
graphite gaskets
Hi Folks,

I'm looking to replace the valve covers, on my aspencade soon, and I need to drop the headers, and the guards.

I will replace the gaskets on the tops of the headers, but do I need replace the graphite gaskets, where the headers join to the mufflers?

I have never had anything to do with graphite before, is there anything I should watch out for?

Are the old ones easy to get off? are the news ok to put on? they seem quite brittle.

Any help would be appreciated

cheers
Robbie
1986 GL1200 Aspencade (mariah)
#1 12-24-2007, 06:08 PM,
I usually just drop the whole exhaust rather than splitting the headers from the muffler that way there is no need to change the gasket.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 12-24-2007, 06:59 PM,
I don't know what the reason is you need to drop the headers but if it's to remove the starter I have successfully rotated the header in the graphite gasket after loosening the clamp and retighened it with no problems or leakage on 3 separate occasions.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 12-24-2007, 09:37 PM,
I think you can get away without dropping the headers to change the valve covers.
The right engine guard will come off without removing them and the left one will swing out of the way while you change that valve cover

Maybe change the gaskets on the valve covers and the rubber seats for the bolts, you may develop a leak if you use the old ones.

The manual calls for sealant on the outer edges of the seals but I used oil or grease and smear of oil on the bolt sealing rubbers.

The bolts have a shoulder to seat up to and require only 9lb torque.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 12-25-2007, 07:33 AM,
That is wonderful news, I thought I was going to have to strip the headers, just to get the quards off, I must admit the thought of all the mucking around just to put new covers on, had me thinking, darn it, I'll get them done in a shop.

I can go ahead now and put the new covers on, thank you very much Vic, and Tricky, your help is very much appreciated.

Have a great Christmas, and all the best for the new year.

cheers.
Robbie
1986 GL1200 Aspencade (mariah)
#5 12-25-2007, 08:00 PM,