Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
I think my stock CB works, but...
How do I open it the stock CB switch near the left grip of my SEi?

So far I haven't done a radio check because I can only set it to the emergency channel (9) which nobody talks on or listens to. The passenger "talk" switch works, causing the "TX" indicator to come on so I think I should be able to do a radio check from the rear position as soon as I find a friend with CB. I'll confirm that first.

Right now the only things that don't work are: Changing channels, and the front push-to-talk button, both of which are mounted in the same switch near the left grip. I believe the only problem is that switch.

If I fix that switch, I'm pretty sure the CB will work fine. But how the heck do you OPEN that switch??? I can remove it from its position, but don't see any tabs or screws to get it open. I've already squirted some contact cleaner inside through the cracks... so far no result.

Also, a related question: My antenna is the big long type, for both CB and radio. It's not collapsible, which means I have to remove it to put the cover on the bike. Is there a shorter antenna, or a collapsible one I can get so I can leave it on to put the cover on?
#1 12-20-2007, 09:25 PM,
[quote]My antenna is the big long type, for both CB and radio. It's not collapsible, which means I have to remove it to put the cover on the bike. Is there a shorter antenna, or a collapsible one I can get so I can leave it on to put the cover on?

Rusty if you have the stock Honda antenna .Look at it closely right at the bottom of the mast above the mount their is a collar which you can loosen off (should only be hand tight) if you cant turn it soak it good with penetrating oil. once loosened off the mast folds down along side of the seat .
Hope this helps.
Jim
1985 Ltd.
#2 12-20-2007, 10:03 PM,
Rusty can you please post a picture of the switch that you're talking about. I agree with Jim about the collar on the antenna, you might need to use a pair of pliers on it but once loose it'll unscrew then you can fold down the antenna.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 12-20-2007, 10:09 PM,
Here's the switch I mean:

[Image: CBswitch.jpg]

Actually it's two switches in one casing. Push to talk, and the self-centering toggle for changing channels.
#4 12-20-2007, 10:33 PM,
In the manual I did see that it's supposed to fold down, and I tried the method the manual describes... I figured the antenna had been changed since '86 because nothing budged, but I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Thanks.

Still looking for a way to open that little switch box near the grip if anyone knows. I'm sure all three of those switch boxes open the same way. (Including the radio and suspension stuff.)
#5 12-20-2007, 10:45 PM,
I'm not sure but there might be a skin that you might have to remove so you can get at the screws holding the switch together. Press your finger really hard all along the surface of the switch feeling for an indentation, if you do find some you'll need to peel the covering back to access the screws.

#6 12-21-2007, 09:12 AM,
If your CB is stuck on channel 9, take a look at the channel 9 push button switch on the CB and make sure it isn't stuck in the "IN" position before ripping the switch apart. Sometimes it can get accidentally pushed "IN"
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#7 12-21-2007, 03:48 PM,
Yep, checked that. Thanks. I'm almost sure the problem is in the switchbox at the handgrip, because both switches in the box are non-functional, but everything else seems to work.

The bike isn't with me right now, but I have a feeling the cosmetic faceplate on the switchbox... the one with the silkscreening... will pry off, revealing a way into the box. (No?)

Edit: You're right that the channel 9 button does nothing at the moment, but I think that's because channel 9 is essentially the "default" channel, but the switch to change channels isn't working so it makes no difference.
#8 12-21-2007, 07:08 PM,
The face plate came off the radio tune and mute switch on mine a couple of years ago and there are no screws under it so I think they would be the same.
You could trace the wires to a four pin plug and check the green and white wires for continuity when the PTT is pressed.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#9 12-21-2007, 07:42 PM,
Makes sense. Since it's essentially just three momentary switches (all grounded to green I assume) I should be able to verify if it's the switch or not without actually opening it. If the switch works, I don't need to open it of course.

I'll let ya know how it goes. Once the CB works, the only "broken" thing on the wing will be the motor for the cassette.... and I can live with that. (I suspect the read head for the cassette still works so If I'm right I should be able to use the cassette deck for an iPod with a casette adapter.)
#10 12-21-2007, 08:33 PM,
It might just be a dirty switch for the motor for the cassette and don't forget that the drive belts are still available.

#11 12-21-2007, 09:13 PM,
OOh, that's interesting! Drive belts for the cassette deck you mean? Can the radio be opened easily to change them?

Incidentally, the key doesn't work to remove my radio. (And it doesn't work in the helmet locks either, although it works on the saddle bags.) Since the keys that I have don't say "Honda", I'm pretty sure the ignition switch and saddle bag tumblers were changed for a new key.

Therefore, without the key, is there still an easy way to remove the radio?
#12 12-24-2007, 03:58 PM,
The radio is quite easy to work on.

Are you much of a gambler? How about removing one of the helmet locks, taking it to a locksmith and having a key made and seeing if that key will fit the radio lock?

#13 12-24-2007, 09:48 PM,
The CB works! Now I just need to choose a CB handle and to start speaking with a southern accent. :lol:

The solution was embarassingly simple: The switch I talked about wasn't plugged in at the other end. (No, this didn't take me a week to figure out... been doing other stuff on the bike.)

Now the only things that still don't work are the cassette deck and those computer keyboard lights. If I could remove the radio with the key it sure would help, but it won't budge. Vic, I'll try your suggestion soon. As far as you know is there any OTHER way to get to the radio without using the key lock?

Soon I'll give my new bike a good thorough mechanical once-over and it's time for a trip! I'll be coloring in the little states in no time.
#14 01-02-2008, 12:42 AM,
I can't figure any other way around the key lock issue other than drilling the key lock out and buying another one on Ebay with a key. There's lots out there so it is an option.

#15 01-02-2008, 10:44 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stock Antenna with non stock CB Radio 7 2,815 10-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Last Post: Guest