Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
About my Carbs..
Hi William_86, my pleasure. It is possible that when it was serviced before it came into your hands that the air mixture adjustment had been set too rich. If that is the case, just resetting the settings to the Honda specification and balancing the carbs maybe enough to improve your fuel economy. But also make sure that the air filter is clean.

A good few years ago I got a CX500 Custom into my shop (when I had it) with very poor fuel economy. The owner Frank had just got it and apart from the fuel economy was very happy with it.

We checked all the usual things as I said in my last post, airfilter and plugs. We adjusted the carbs and balanced them, it started better but economy was worse, even though the starting and tickover was improved greatly. I had thought from the plugs that maybe a ring had failed (broken) as it was really wet on one side. But just in case we stripped the carbs first. Well with one carb the jets were correct and the float heights were correct , however on the second carb the main jet had been switched with another in the bowl and that was our problem. We swapped the jets round and then reassembled the whole lot and then had to rebalance the carbs and it was just spot on.
The customer, Frankwas over the moon.

Of course it may not be the same in your case, but certain things do happen when you are faced with four carbs. If you don't use your Wing too much it is possible that the fuel may have evaporated and left some scum behind. Many of the additives in gas these days are there to improve combustion, detergents and modifiers. When the fuel evaporates these are left behind and can gum up the small jets in your carbs. Although you have a series of filters between the petrol tank and your carburettors a small amount of silt finds it's way into the float bowls anyway. This silt which is like a very fine dust can accumulate and sometimes find it's way into the float jet wedging it open, even enough so as to not allow it to close. This can be compounded if the bike is left for long periods on it's side stand.
Anyway good luck with your project.
Colm54
#31 01-20-2008, 09:11 PM,
to check the air mixture adjustment i must remove the carbs right, i already balanced them. i made a home-made tool and got an improvement from 8KM per litter to 14. also used so far 2 bottles of carb cleaner additive on my gas tank ( each bottle was used for 4 -5 full tank, never added the whole bottle since its made for big car tanks ).
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#32 01-21-2008, 11:19 AM,