Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hello from Norway.
I found this site in a post on Facebook and after jumping around in here I decided to join Smile

I own a GL1200 Interstate from 1986 and been the second owner since 1987. You may say we are kind of familiar with each other by now Big Grin

Somewhere along the ride my working life took over and the old girl was just sitting in the garage. I know she needs a lot of TLC to recover to former glory so I decided to make it a project.
So we bought a 1800 trike for touring. The thought was that my wife finally could test a Goldwing (she always wanted to, but never dared). Since she has been turning down all other offers to ride, I reconed I would be the only driver....

Boy was I wrong. To avoid squabbles over who should run the new trike, the project was expedited. Since it has been sitting for a few years it has all kinds of fun you can imagine to fix, the list seems endless Rolleyes

The pictures are about 20 years old and it has been a lot of wear since. I'm going to read many old posts here and occasionally ask many stupid questions.

If I become wiser and the bike becomes herself again, then I have achieved everything I hoped for Wink

[Image: 48f52334-1eb5-4f21-9589-a955d2ef89c6_zpssjeghgvp.jpg]

[Image: 1200%20rear%20web_zpsfvi8avci.jpg]
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." ~ Albert Einstein

current bikes:
Honda Goldwing GL1800 2003 CSC trike
Honda Goldwing GL1200 1986 ESZ sidecar
Honda Shadow VT700C 1984 just two wheels
#1 04-14-2015, 08:06 AM,
(04-14-2015, 08:06 AM)NorWing Wrote: I found this site in a post on Facebook and after jumping around in here I decided to join Smile
Welcome to this forum Smile

(04-14-2015, 08:06 AM)NorWing Wrote: I own a GL1200 Interstate from 1986 and been the second owner since 1987. You may say we are kind of familiar with each other by now Big Grin I know she needs a lot of TLC to recover to former glory so I decided to make it a project.
Good luck with your project. The bike looks very nice in the pictures.

Where in Norway do you live?
I used to have a friend who lived in Kristiansand (unfortunately he past away two years ago because of heart failure) who also had a GoldWing, a GL1500. Norway is a beautiful country to ride on a motorcycle (in summer Smile ) I am sure you will enjoy riding the 1200 again !
------------------------------
Jan Krijtenburg, a Dutch Winger
My bikes: Honda GL1200 Interstate and a BMW R1200GS
My personal Homepage: http://www.krijtenburg.nl
Motormobilist website: http://motormobilist.nl/
#2 04-15-2015, 07:50 AM,
(04-15-2015, 07:50 AM)jkrijt Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 08:06 AM)NorWing Wrote: I found this site in a post on Facebook and after jumping around in here I decided to join Smile
Welcome to this forum Smile

(04-14-2015, 08:06 AM)NorWing Wrote: I own a GL1200 Interstate from 1986 and been the second owner since 1987. You may say we are kind of familiar with each other by now Big Grin I know she needs a lot of TLC to recover to former glory so I decided to make it a project.
Good luck with your project. The bike looks very nice in the pictures.

Where in Norway do you live?
I used to have a friend who lived in Kristiansand (unfortunately he past away two years ago because of heart failure) who also had a GoldWing, a GL1500. Norway is a beautiful country to ride on a motorcycle (in summer Smile ) I am sure you will enjoy riding the 1200 again !

Thanks for the welcome jkrijt Smile
I live about 30 km north of Oslo, and that is about 330 km from Kristiansand. Not that far to ride on any wing really. Sorry about your friend. We better make the most of the limited time we are here Smile

I look forward to make the 1200 ready for use again. Since it is a veteran next year I have decided to keep it. There are so many memories connected to it so I never really tried to sell it.

In its heydays we used to be two grownups, two childeren, a trailer and everything you needed for a two or three week trip around europe. I love the six cylinders the 1500 and 1800 provide but I know it will be fun riding the old girl again. It might even go faster now that the children are grown ups and have moved out
I am pretty sure that I'm still the donkey when it comes to equipment we need on tour. Rolleyes
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." ~ Albert Einstein

current bikes:
Honda Goldwing GL1800 2003 CSC trike
Honda Goldwing GL1200 1986 ESZ sidecar
Honda Shadow VT700C 1984 just two wheels
#3 04-15-2015, 12:13 PM,
Welcome to this site.
Welcome back to the GL1200.

I too, am the second owner of my '84I, although I have not owned mine as long as you have owned yours.
I use mine for a daily 64 mile commute so I am 'familiar' with mine.

After an external alternator, t-stat, head gaskets, water pump, cam oil seals, crank main oil seal and numerous little 'upgrades', she has taken me 41K miles since she came to live with me.
She currently is pushing 150K miles and gives back a consistent 42 miles/gallon.

They are a great design.

Have fun!
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#4 04-15-2015, 01:59 PM,
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Life's uncertain, eat dessert first. :D
#5 04-23-2015, 09:25 AM,
Hello back to you from western Canada. You have some lovely equipment there. Had a 65 I that had the full body of an LTD & was triked but had to sell her so she wouldn't have to sit for a year or so while I had work done on my back. That was the biggest mistake of my life as there nothing that can be done so now I am retired, in pain & with out my beloved Baby Blue. I am of Swiss ancestry & would love to visit the Scandinavian countries. Anyway once again welcome to the greatest 1200 based site on the web. The folks here are always more than ready to jump in & help with any little problem. Keep the rubber on the road & the shinny side up. Cheers AngelaBig GrinBig Grin
Angela(fysty-1) & Dani
Surrey, B.C., Canada
'85 Honda GL 1200 (fully dressed) I. (sold)
pres. 95 Virago 1100
"No matter how blue life may get always remember that there's a rainbow in the sky."
"Grab life by the handlbars an hang on."

#6 04-23-2015, 08:47 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Howdy from Norway silverbull666 7 5,447 01-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Last Post: