Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New carb project
Ok, I’m getting ready to start a new project. A broken choke cable on my 86 Aspy needs to be replaced, and since the carbs are going to have to come off to replace them, I figure it’s a good time to clean the carbs. But, I know absolutely nothing about carbs. I read about jets, and diaphragms and needles and air valves and think: what???? Confused

I’ve come across an article on goldwingfacts.doc which does a good job of explaining things. But does anyone know of any books or manuals on the subject? Hopefully something with lots and lots of pictures…. I'm not even sure what kind of carbs are on the bike. Blush
#1 12-29-2014, 06:24 AM,
http://randakks.com/collections/guides/p...pair-guide
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 12-29-2014, 12:47 PM,
Thanks, Neo. Ordered the book today....rebuild kit too. We'll see how it goes...
#3 12-30-2014, 05:16 PM,
I've never rebuilt carburetors before either. I used Randakks' kit and book last spring. Take your time, read, re-read, read again. I was absolutely astonished how easy the rebuild went. Followed directions very carefully and when I hit the start button for the first time it fired right up and ran quite smooth. Very important step then is to properly sync the carbs. I used the Morgan Carbtune Pro (carbtune.com). Ordered from England it's running about $99 USD plus shipping. My Wing became a new bike after the rebuild and sync.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#4 01-01-2015, 06:19 PM,
.... all very good advice.
jets
ports
float bowl
throttle needle
throttle needle piston
throttle needle cylinder
diaphragm seal
floats
fuel valve
fuel filter attached to the fuel valve

all of these items need to be addressed on EACH carburetor.

Some hints:
- use the proper fitting screwdriver on those four float bowl screws or YOU WILL ROUND THEM OUT.
if they just won't loosen, get a small pair of vise grip style pliers to break them loose.
- use the proper fitting screwdriver on the primary jet. Remember: the metal is soft and can be damaged
- take note as to how much pressure it takes to loosen the primary with a slot screwdriver, to loosen the secondary jet with the proper socket, to loosen the fuel valve with the proper socket (in order to clean the fuel filter). Over tightening will cause damage.
- the fuel filter is a very delicate, plastic filter and is easily damaged, so take extra care when removing and handling
- clean one carburetor at a time so as not to mix parts (I like to work on paper towel and I go through many cotton swabs. The swabs are sturdy yet soft and can clean out those small areas inside the float bowl.
- take your time, go slow, no rush. You are working with 30 or near 30 year old parts.

If you would like to get familiar with the parts you will be dealing with, go to your favorite Honda parts web site and look at the exploded view of the carburetors. This will also tell you what parts are available from Honda (and their cost) and may help you to be careful when handling the parts during the rebuilding process.

One final tid bit of information.........
once you have done the rebuild, and you see how terribly easy it is to perform, you may want to perform the service again and again, just to keep the 1200ccs working at peak performance.

LOL

Good Luck.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#5 01-02-2015, 11:58 PM,
Our Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha got a set of Japan Industrial Standard ( JIS ) screwdrivers for Christmas ... They look like "Phillips" except they fit the screws on a Japanese machine properly Smile

I usually prefer to bugger something up before I get the right tools...

Next on the list is an impact driver with JIS and SAE bits.

#6 01-03-2015, 11:10 AM,