Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Wild idle. knocking and backfire
I stopped at the light and when I went to take off the bike started cutting in and out and died. It started right back up and ran fine until down the highway and next few lights, but started acting up again. It starts up runs good for a few minutes then it cuts in and out. when you give it gas the motor stumbles, knocks and will backfire through the exhaust. I noticed a burning smell like rubber when I get home. It does not seem like a gas issue. It runs good as long as you are running 20 MPH or higher. Any ideas?
1987 Interstate
#1 07-25-2014, 10:15 AM,
The very first thing I would check is the main fuse by the battery. If it is still stock & has the dogbone fuse it may have a hairline crack. If it has been changed to the blade type it may have burned up the holder.

Poorboy
#2 07-25-2014, 01:29 PM,
(07-25-2014, 01:29 PM)Poorboy Wrote: The very first thing I would check is the main fuse by the battery. If it is still stock & has the dogbone fuse it may have a hairline crack. If it has been changed to the blade type it may have burned up the holder.

Poorboy
Since my dogbone has long been gone why would I check there? At least that is what I thought. I figured it is an easy place to start. Convinced I was wasting my time but hey the side cover has to come off one way or the other, I did the check and low and behold the outside of the fuse holder was melted. I opened the holder and tried to pull out the fuse and it was mostly black and crumbled. I purchased a new fuse holder $5.00 and a pack of 30 amp fuses $3.00 and installed it. A few minutes and about $9.00 with tax and the bike is running great again. I was going to start way to deep on this problem. Thanks poorboy for saving me hours of work and aggravation.
1987 Interstate
#3 07-25-2014, 02:52 PM,
I have a couple of the blade type fuse holders burn up. What we can buy at most parts stores are not good enough for our bikes. I'm going to look at a place that installs stereos. The fuse holders they use are a lot better quality & can handle more amps.
Poorboy
#4 07-25-2014, 04:20 PM,
From the looks of mine it looks like vibration and heat took it's toll on it. It looks like it had been arching. I put dielectric grease on it this time but I think it will eventually do the same thing again. I guess this is why Honda used the dogbone style hoping it would be more reliable.
1987 Interstate
#5 07-25-2014, 04:45 PM,
(07-25-2014, 10:15 AM)Golden Highway Wrote: I stopped at the light and when I went to take off the bike started cutting in and out and died. It started right back up and ran fine until down the highway and next few lights, but started acting up again. It starts up runs good for a few minutes then it cuts in and out. when you give it gas the motor stumbles, knocks and will backfire through the exhaust. I noticed a burning smell like rubber when I get home. It does not seem like a gas issue. It runs good as long as you are running 20 MPH or higher. Any ideas?

I had the same thing happen on my seca turbo was the tilt switch changed it and it ran fine , I also always change my fuse box to marine blade boxes and never have them messing up
#6 07-26-2014, 01:28 PM,