Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Smoke from left exhaust after storage-Warrior In Distress!
Hi All, I purchased this bike to FINALLY have and completely restore the Aspencade I wanted years ago. I’m hoping to get it running in the next few weeks before we here in Minnesota revert to the usual state of sub-zero temps and frozen tundra. After about two weeks of work I started the bike up yesterday and got oil smoke coming from the left tailpipe after the bike warmed up. I let it cool down for an hour and got the same result. Total run time since first start is probably about 10 minutes.

Pre-run up:
1986 1200 Aspencade, 63K, by most appearances it was cared for
I got the bike from a guy who was going to renovate it but couldn’t due to medical issues. He said the PO only mentioned a charging issue and stuck carb float/leaking gas but nothing about engine/exhaust smoke.
Bike sitting unused for 2 years. Stored on center stand
Plugs (before running today) were dark but not black/greasy
Fuel filter was slightly dirty- this has been replaced with OEM
Air filter was ok. This was cleaned and put back on the bike.
Drained fuel tank, rinsed with fuel, drained and put 1 gallon fresh fuel in tank
I have not yet checked compression but will today.
Carb leak/stuck float problem on left side- Both needles on left side were corroded into the seats and there was raw gas in the left intakes and some gas smell in the oil
Carb cleaning included new needles, seats, de-gunking and changing O rings between carbs and float chamber rings. When I got the carb back from the mechanic the linkage was a bit stiff so I hit all connections with WD-40
Radiator coolant was green, mostly clear and full to top when I got it but reserve tank was empty.
The bike currently has the fairing and faux tank off. Not sure if that is relevant

Run up yesterday:
Oil and filter were changed 15 minutes before first start up. Oil and filter were black/filthy and had gas smell.
Topped off coolant in reserve tank
Bike starts immediately. No smoke for first 3-4 minutes after starting from cold but then a fair amount of smoke from left tailpipe after warm-up. Smoke does not seem to smell sweet
Occasional backfire/pop through pipes but otherwise runs and revs up ok in neutral

I’m scouring the websites for info but was wondering if anyone has any initial thoughts on what might be the cause of the smoke on the left side. Any guidance/advice is greatly appreciated.

Undecided
#1 07-11-2014, 04:19 AM,
How long did you leave it running? It is pretty normal to have smoke in the exhaust after it has been sitting for a while.

Let run till the engine is fully hot even to the point where the fan is cycling on and off, the temperature gauge will be about the 7th bar
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 07-11-2014, 04:39 AM,
(07-11-2014, 04:39 AM)SIR tricky Wrote: How long did you leave it running? It is pretty normal to have smoke in the exhaust after it has been sitting for a while.

Let run till the engine is fully hot even to the point where the fan is cycling on and off, the temperature gauge will be about the 7th bar

Both times I ran the bike only for about 6 or so minutes and then shut it off being concerned that something bad was happening. I'm about ready to try again this morning. The bike has been sitting all night on the side stand so I'm expecting some smoke from that but will let it run for several minutes and see what happens. Will post again in a while.

(07-11-2014, 05:48 AM)jg7248 Wrote:
(07-11-2014, 04:39 AM)SIR tricky Wrote: How long did you leave it running? It is pretty normal to have smoke in the exhaust after it has been sitting for a while.

Both times I ran the bike only for about 6 or so minutes and then shut it off being concerned that something bad was happening. I'm about ready to try again this morning. The bike has been sitting all night on the side stand so I'm expecting some smoke from that but will let it run for several minutes and see what happens. Will post again in a while.

Can it be this simple? Just ran the bike for about 15 minutes with no smoke at all. I'm a bit concerned about running it much more with the fairing off/no gauges. I it did not feel hot after the 15 minutes and I didn't run it until the fan came on. Not sure if having the fairing off would prevent the fan from operating...
#3 07-11-2014, 05:48 AM,
Having the fairing off will have no effect on the fan coming off or on.

If your concerned about running it and it getting hot, go to Harbor Freight and get yourself one of the infrared lamps http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsear...q=infrared

When the rad reaches about 200degrees fan should operate run for a while when the fan cools the rad it should stop, then cycle on and off as required.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 07-11-2014, 07:41 AM,
Assuming the thermal switch is working, the fan will cycle on and off.
I would suggest one or two fans be placed to help cool the radiator and simulate air passing over the engine. The fairing lowers will also affect the cooling of the engine.

If you are happy, pleased and ecstatic about you hearing your bike run, I would go back to your original list of items of concern and check to see if they have been cleared up.
Example:
Gas smell in the oil?
There is no visible smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes but does the exhaust smell like it did before, or has it changed?
After running the engine, what do the spark plugs look like?
A dirty air filter will 'look' good but may be restrictive and causing a rich fuel charge
Remove the air filter and look to see that the floor of the carburetor assemble is, indeed, dry. Is gas leaking into this cavity?
When the carburetors were serviced, were the vacuum hoses replaced as well?
Does it back fire on deceleration or acceleration?
An air leak in the hoses can cause back firing as well as a defective air cut-off valve. An exhaust leak can also cause a back fire.
Using a stethoscope or similar, probe different locations on the running engine – do you hear anything unusual?
(I have gone to You Tube and listened to other GL1200s to tune my ear to what mine should sound like)

When the engine is running and has reached normal operating temperature (hard to tell without a temperature gauge) from idle, slowly open the throttle and (you will have to listen since there is no tachometer) listen for
any sort of stumbling or 'flat spots' in the raising of the rpm.
Do this several times until you get used to what you are listening to and listening for.
Whacking a throttle open and closed can mask potential performance problems.

It is highly likely the smoke you initially saw was as what has be already describe and should not be a concern.
BUT, you need to learn this bike......

There are many things to be concerned with when dealing with these GL1200s, but one issue at a time so you don't get overwhelmed or discouraged.

Let us know your findings.

Good Luck

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#5 07-11-2014, 08:36 AM,
(07-11-2014, 08:36 AM)bs175dths Wrote: Assuming the thermal switch is working, the fan will cycle on and off.
I would suggest one or two fans be placed to help cool the radiator and simulate air passing over the engine. The fairing lowers will also affect the cooling of the engine.

If you are happy, pleased and ecstatic about you hearing your bike run, I would go back to your original list of items of concern and check to see if they have been cleared up.
Example:
Gas smell in the oil?
There is no visible smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes but does the exhaust smell like it did before, or has it changed?
After running the engine, what do the spark plugs look like?
A dirty air filter will 'look' good but may be restrictive and causing a rich fuel charge
Remove the air filter and look to see that the floor of the carburetor assemble is, indeed, dry. Is gas leaking into this cavity?
When the carburetors were serviced, were the vacuum hoses replaced as well?
Does it back fire on deceleration or acceleration?
An air leak in the hoses can cause back firing as well as a defective air cut-off valve. An exhaust leak can also cause a back fire.
Using a stethoscope or similar, probe different locations on the running engine – do you hear anything unusual?
(I have gone to You Tube and listened to other GL1200s to tune my ear to what mine should sound like)

When the engine is running and has reached normal operating temperature (hard to tell without a temperature gauge) from idle, slowly open the throttle and (you will have to listen since there is no tachometer) listen for
any sort of stumbling or 'flat spots' in the raising of the rpm.
Do this several times until you get used to what you are listening to and listening for.
Whacking a throttle open and closed can mask potential performance problems.

It is highly likely the smoke you initially saw was as what has be already describe and should not be a concern.
BUT, you need to learn this bike......

There are many things to be concerned with when dealing with these GL1200s, but one issue at a time so you don't get overwhelmed or discouraged.

Let us know your findings.

Good Luck

-Ride On

I've been so impressed with the help I'm receiving- thanks everyone. I'll run the bike a bit more and see if the fan cycles on and go from there. I WILL replace the air filter, too.

Next on the list is the idle speed which is still too high after the adjust screw is all the way out. The carb was just rebuilt by a mostly-Harley mechanic and I'm suspecting that the pilot screw adjustments are set incorrectly. He's not available today so I'll have to punt on the adjustments when I get to this item. Again, thanks fellas.
#6 07-11-2014, 09:13 AM,
Normally the throttle cable adjustment at the handlebar does not need adjustment after a carburetor rebuild. However, setting this adjustment to zero is also an option to lowering the idle.

I suspect the carburetors need to be synchronized, which means they are all pulling in the same amount of air at the same time.

Another possibility for the high idle may be a vacuum leak at the intakes. If those o rings didn't seat properly, air may be sneaking in. Also make sure all four screws are tight at the intake-to-carburetor clamps.

Getting the engine to run is a major accomplishment. Now it just needs some dialing in......

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#7 07-11-2014, 09:28 PM,
Left cylinders are the "low side" when the bike is abandoned on the side stand - our 85 did the smoke from the left side once - I de-winterized it and took it for a ride after we had a late Feb snow-eater dried the roads and then parked it on the side stand. Winter came back and it was not started for 7 weeks or so. It smoked from the left side on start up, from residual oil in the low cylinders I figgered. That was 12000 miles ago and I haven't had to fuss about it since. I now always park long term on the center stand, and run the engine with the fuel cock off to draw down gas levels in the carbs until it begins to starve for fuel. This method plus using non-ethanol Shell V-Power gas with some stabilizer at end of season and I have had no issues with run-ability after winter storage etc.

#8 07-13-2014, 05:50 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oil smoke from the left bank waltharper 9 3,583 07-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Last Post: waltharper