Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
Float sticking, fuel running over
'85 GL1200A. ~85,000mi.
Did the head gaskets about 2,000mi ago and I've been fighting the carbs ever since (neglected to stabilize the fuel when I parked it)
At first it was just not quite running right. Now, it runs great, but sometimes it'll leak fuel out of the #3 carb.
Looks to me like the float is stuck and the excess fuel is running out between the carb and the plenum.

This morning, it changed it's tune and decided to *pour* fuel out of the #3 carb. A few light tabs on the side didn't free it up, so my wife was kind enough to take me to work.

Prior to this, it had only acted up when the engine was warm and it was leaned over on it's side stand. This time it was cold and up-right.

I've had the carbs apart so many times I've lost count trying to fix this, but I've yet to find anything amiss.

Anyone have any ideas?
#1 05-21-2014, 07:33 AM,
You could try running a few tanks with Seafoam to see if it will clean it out. Sometimes the best thing to do is pull the carbs and clean them out.
#2 05-22-2014, 09:25 AM,
(05-21-2014, 07:33 AM)1TallTXn Wrote: '85 GL1200A. ~85,000mi.
Did the head gaskets about 2,000mi ago and I've been fighting the carbs ever since (neglected to stabilize the fuel when I parked it)
At first it was just not quite running right. Now, it runs great, but sometimes it'll leak fuel out of the #3 carb.
Looks to me like the float is stuck and the excess fuel is running out between the carb and the plenum.

This morning, it changed it's tune and decided to *pour* fuel out of the #3 carb. A few light tabs on the side didn't free it up, so my wife was kind enough to take me to work.

Prior to this, it had only acted up when the engine was warm and it was leaned over on it's side stand. This time it was cold and up-right.

I've had the carbs apart so many times I've lost count trying to fix this, but I've yet to find anything amiss.

Anyone have any ideas?

do the following at your own risk!
Gasoline can burn, explode, IT CAN KILL!!
CAUTION! CAUTION! CAUTION!
WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

suggestion one: bench test before doing a full assembly....place a fuel hose on the inlet of the carburetor assembly and fill the fuel line with gas until no more will go in. Do this in a well ventilated area and no smoking or sparks!!!
if you place some cardboard underneath, any leaking will be immediately noticed.
If no leaks are detected then the bowls can be drained using the screw in the bowl then re-tightened before final assembly.

suggestion two: pin point EXACTLY where the fuel is leaking.... the bowl, the hard fuel tube between the carbs.. Maybe the o ring gasket(s) are damaged

suggestion three: I am aware you have been in the carbs more times than you want to count.
For the record, I was in my carbs 9 times, (nine, N I N E) times before I got it correct. The suggestion is this: are the floats set to the proper level? Maybe the leaking carburetor has a maladjusted float, that is, a float which allows the bowl to overflow before the fuel valve has a chance to stop fuel flow. I don't know what the setting should be, but looking at the other flow level settings may shed some light.

Those are my suggestions. I hope they help solve your problem, or at least, shed some light.

Again, bench test before final assembly and use EXTREME caution whenever working with or around gasoline.
#3 06-04-2014, 08:58 PM,
The inlet needle and/or seat is likely to blame and not the float. Replace with viton tipped needles if they are available.

If you pull the seat needle and inspect the tip under magnification, you will likely find a ring worn into it and it simply isn't sealing properly.
#4 06-05-2014, 06:55 AM,
The float valve isn't seating when the bike is upright.
Pull # 3 carb & check the float height.
Shake the float to see if fuel is trapped in the float. If so, replace the float.
If not, replace the valve & seat as suggested above and set the float height.
Distance between bottom of float and carburetor gasket should be 7.5 mm (9/32").
See page 4-10 of Honda GL 1200 Goldwing Owners Workshop Manual for specific instructions.
Manual can be downloaded from http://goldwingdocs.com/Manuals

Good Luck
#5 06-05-2014, 08:02 AM,
You can try running Seafoam through the system adding it to the gas tank, it may help
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#6 03-27-2015, 03:09 PM,
you could try draining the fuel from the carb via the bowl drain,then maybe refilling the carb may reseat the carb needle,or dislodge the dirt causing the problem,may take one or two tries to remedy
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#7 04-06-2015, 01:50 PM,
As was mentioned:
if it is pouring out the drain hole in the bottom of the float bowl, it may be:
-the needle valve is not closing fully due to an obstruction or poor seating between the needle and the seat and allowing the bowl to overfill
-the needle valve may be misaligned or slipped off the float tag
-the float is filled with some gas and will not float high enough to allow the needle valve to fully close
-the drain screw is not tight enough and/or not seating properly
-it is pouring out some other location in which case, it is something else

make sure the drain screw on number 3 carburetor is tight, but don't strip it
turn the petcock off at the tank and using the drain screw for number 3 carburetor, drain the bowl and refill it (as was mentioned). This may dislodge any obstruction and/or allow the needle to seat better. As was mentioned, this may take several attempts before it works, or it may not work at all.
If that doesn't work, the next step is to open the bottom of carburetor number 3 and see what is going on in there. Which means removing the carburetor assembly.

Regardless of time or miles, anything can happen since the last overhaul, and that pertains to everything.

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
Are you using an OEM filter or aftermarket?
Good quality aftermarket?
Did you use Seafoam recently?
Did you use the recommended amount of Seafoam or did you use more than recommended?

I am curious as to what the remedy was.

It has been my experience in cases like this, that the problem is an obstruction between the needle and the seat.
On the older bikes, the needle and the seat are machined as a pair and as such, need to be replaced as a pair.
The newer bikes have a pliable tip in the end of the needle which can, over time, develop a grove and if that grove is uneven or disturbed, fuel will flow.
However, a loose drain screw can vibrate even looser causing the same pouring out of fuel.

-Good Luck and work in a well ventilated area

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#8 04-07-2015, 11:09 AM,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-85-HONDA-GL12...503wt_1686

check this picture.
they are easy to spot.

You can see from the inside shot, if that screw is not seated properly, the bowl will leak

The reason I asked about how much Seafoam was used is because too much Seafoam may dislodge rust in the tank, clog the external fuel filter, or the internal filters of each carburetor. The rust may also lodge itself at the tip of the fuel cut off needle not allowing the needle to seat and seal. This will allow the foat bowl to over fill.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#9 04-10-2015, 12:21 PM,
Mine was leaking fuel and it was the float full of gas
#10 07-19-2015, 04:19 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  float adjustments? Tropicalsuns 3 2,227 10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Last Post: MRGONE