Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermittant Radio Volume
Hey Guy's,

I have a 1986 SEi Aspencade that has a problem with the radio, my bike does not have a CB radio but only the Panasonic radio. The problem I have is that the radio volume will just come and go, sometimes to a point of not being able to hear it to a point of blaring. I sent the radio in last winter to Sierra Electronics for this problem and the tape deck not working, they fixed the tape deck and gave the radio a general tune-up and no volume issue noted. I have cleaned all of the contacts and the connectors and thought I had the problem solved as it went for several days w/o issue but since has come back and nothing seems to resolve it. I really like the bike but this makes me crazy, nothing one minute and blaring the next. Any help would be appreciated.

As a side note I can't understand all the hub-bub about the fuel injection when this bike and the 85 LTD came out, it carburetes pretty much perfect, turn the key on cold and hit the start and it just starts and runs, with the big hesitation issues Honda had with the carb'd bikes and on the 1500's people should've been yelling about that to Honda as loud as possible in my opinion. Now we all know that a .003-.005in shim under the needle on the carb'd bikes fix's the hesitation but the injected bikes seem to run perfect from the get, my .02 worth, thx

Steve P.
#1 10-06-2013, 12:05 PM,
(10-06-2013, 12:05 PM)redglbx Wrote: Hey Guy's,

I have a 1986 SEi Aspencade that has a problem with the radio, my bike does not have a CB radio but only the Panasonic radio. The problem I have is that the radio volume will just come and go, sometimes to a point of not being able to hear it to a point of blaring. I sent the radio in last winter to Sierra Electronics for this problem and the tape deck not working, they fixed the tape deck and gave the radio a general tune-up and no volume issue noted. I have cleaned all of the contacts and the connectors and thought I had the problem solved as it went for several days w/o issue but since has come back and nothing seems to resolve it. I really like the bike but this makes me crazy, nothing one minute and blaring the next. Any help would be appreciated.

As a side note I can't understand all the hub-bub about the fuel injection when this bike and the 85 LTD came out, it carburetes pretty much perfect, turn the key on cold and hit the start and it just starts and runs, with the big hesitation issues Honda had with the carb'd bikes and on the 1500's people should've been yelling about that to Honda as loud as possible in my opinion. Now we all know that a .003-.005in shim under the needle on the carb'd bikes fix's the hesitation but the injected bikes seem to run perfect from the get, my .02 worth, thx

Steve P.

Usually this problem indicates a dirty pot (Potentiometer contact points) get some good quality electronic contact cleaner spray and spray the heck out of the volume control while turning the switch back and forth. You mentioned you cleaned the volume control but sometimes its hard to get the cleaner right in there where the contacts touch, they get a small carbon film buildup and oxidation over the years, it has to be flushed out of there. Good quality Electronic spray cleaner cleans then evaporates, some so called electronic cleaners leave a film, if in doubt ask a computer shop or a shop that fixes truckers VHF radios what they use for cleaning.
#2 10-06-2013, 05:34 PM,
... and what was posted goes for any of the contact points on these 29 year young bikes!
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 10-07-2013, 08:52 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1984 Aspencade radio volume Cornhusker Joe 0 1,133 12-14-2019, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Cornhusker Joe
  Radio volume problems MortyStewart 2 1,467 07-16-2011, 04:23 AM
Last Post: neoracer
  Radio Volume Siberiancat 11 4,389 04-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Last Post: Ranch55
  Radio switch and tape deck volume issues 20 5,287 10-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Last Post: neoracer
  CB Radio Audio Weak-Low Volume Suddenly neoracer 3 1,750 08-17-2008, 09:30 AM