Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
stalling/dying issue
i have a 1985 gl1200 aspencade. My bike has died on me twice in the last two weeks. I thought it might be a gas tank vent issue but its not. Died yesterday on the way home from work. Popped the gas cap off and still wouldn't start. When it dies it doesn't die like an electric issue but sputters and tries to run. When trying to restart it tries (ie starts for a few seconds then dies). After setting for about twenty minutes it finally started and rode home fine. My thoughts are fuel filter or fuel pump. Any thoughts?
Honda 55
Honda Super 90
Honda 160
Honda 305
Bultaco 250
Triumph T120R Bonneville
Honda 85 gl1200 aspy (present ride)
#1 08-06-2013, 03:56 AM,
The fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel flow out the petcock are all possibilities.
Keep in mind there is a filter on the tip of the fuel valve in EACH carburetor as well as the external mounted one..
When you open the gas cap, do you hear a sound like air being sucked into the tank? As you mentioned, if the vent in the cap is not working properly, a vacuum will be created inside the tank.
Also look for collapsed fuel lines.

The Goldwing tanks do generate rust and can and will clog or restrict fuel flow.
Seafoam is a good deterrent when used in the proper dosages and/or as a regular regiment as some members will attest.

This may be unrelated, but what is the condition of the air filter? It can “look” clean, but actually be quite dirty.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#2 08-06-2013, 08:25 AM,
really sounds more like a pg issue but w/o being able to pull a fuel line at the time it dies its hard to figure out
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 08-06-2013, 08:25 AM,
Could be caused by fuel starvation. I would check it this way:

1. Turn off the ignition, fuel petcock, kill switch and let the motor cool.

2. Disconnect the fuel line from the petcock and replace it with a line long enough to direct gasoline into a container. Turn the petcock to "ON" or "RESERVE". Gas should flow if you have more than 1/2 tank. If it doesn't, the pickup tube may be partially plugged and must be cleaned. If you see dirt in the gas you're getting out, that's a good indication it's time to clean the fuel tank. If OK, turn the petcock "OFF" and re-attach the fuel line to the filter.

3. Pull the fuel line between the fuel pump and filter off at the fuel pump end. Turn the petcock back on. Gas should run out if the filter is not plugged and you have more than a 1/2 tank of gas. Turn off the petcock and re-attach the line to the pump. If you don't remember changing the filter within the last few years, I would do it now.

4. Pull the the fuel line between the fuel pump and the carburetors/injectors off at the fuel pump end. Turn the petcock "ON". Crank the motor with the kill switch "OFF". If gas spurts out, the pump is good. Turn the petcock "OFF" and re-attach the line to the pump.

5. If the filter and pump prove to be good, the next step on my 85 Interstate (carbureted) is to pull the carburetors and check the tiny filters under the float valves in each carburetor. I'm assuming there is also a filter between the fuel pump and the injectors on machines with fuel injection, so that could be another place to look for a blockage.

If you want to avoid getting gas on your machine, use the line from step 2 and a union so you can direct the gas into the catch container.

Hope this helps. Please work safely;

Tom
#4 08-06-2013, 08:35 AM,
(08-06-2013, 08:35 AM)PurpleGL1200 Wrote: Could be caused by fuel starvation. I would check it this way:

2. Disconnect the fuel line from the petcock and replace it with a line long enough to direct gasoline into a container. Turn the petcock to "ON" or "RESERVE". Gas should flow if you have more than 1/2 tank. If it doesn't, the pickup tube may be partially plugged and must be cleaned. If you see dirt in the gas you're getting out, that's a good indication it's time to clean the fuel tank. If OK, turn the petcock "OFF" and re-attach the fuel line to the filter.

3. Pull the fuel line between the fuel pump and filter off at the fuel pump end. Turn the petcock back on. Gas should run out if the filter is not plugged and you have more than a 1/2 tank of gas. Turn off the petcock and re-attach the line to the pump. If you don't remember changing the filter within the last few years, I would do it now.

4. Pull the the fuel line between the fuel pump and the carburetors/injectors off at the fuel pump end. Turn the petcock "ON". Crank the motor with the kill switch "OFF". If gas spurts out, the pump is good. Turn the petcock "OFF" and re-attach the line to the pump.

5. If the filter and pump prove to be good, the next step on my 85 Interstate (carbureted) is to pull the carburetors and check the tiny filters under the float valves in each carburetor. I'm assuming there is also a filter between the fuel pump and the injectors on machines with fuel injection, so that could be another place to look for a blockage.

If you want to avoid getting gas on your machine, use the line from step 2 and a union so you can direct the gas into the catch container.

Tom

An excellent, logical, approach to eliminate possible culprits!

I just wanted to point out, however, our petcocks have two positions, ON and OFF. They don't have a RESERVE. We have a gas gauge with a red zone and a LOW FUEL light.
Ignoring both allows some time to think as you walk to the nearest gas station. LOL

BTW, remember the On, RESERVE and PRIME petcocks?
Prime was on those vacuum actuated petcocks and used to fill the float bowls when the bike ran out of gas.

Ahhhhh. Evolution. Smile
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#5 08-06-2013, 08:52 AM,
(08-06-2013, 08:25 AM)neoracer Wrote: really sounds more like a pg issue but w/o being able to pull a fuel line at the time it dies its hard to figure out

ok so what is a pg issue?
Honda 55
Honda Super 90
Honda 160
Honda 305
Bultaco 250
Triumph T120R Bonneville
#6 08-06-2013, 02:45 PM,
(08-06-2013, 02:45 PM)mtnsurgtech Wrote:
(08-06-2013, 08:25 AM)neoracer Wrote: really sounds more like a pg issue but w/o being able to pull a fuel line at the time it dies its hard to figure out

ok so what is a pg issue?

pg is short for pulse generator(s), they are the little buggers which trigger the collapsing of the magnetic field the perspective coil has built up. It is the collapsing of the field which allows electricity to jump a gap, thus generating a spark at the spark plug.

Sometimes a pg can lose its ability to perform, usually heat related.
They can only be tested when the motor is not running, to determine if and which one is not working. If you suspect a defective pg, replace it with a known good one.

Hope this helps
#7 08-06-2013, 02:52 PM,
well I do appreciate all the ideas and the guide for troubleshooting would be excellent except that I cannot get the fuel filter out. The bolt and nut that hold the mount for it are unreachable to me. The nut on the right side of the bike (fuel pump side) cannot be reached by a socket or wrench so I am stuck. I think at this point ill just get it to my mech and have him change it all (fuel lines, filter, fuel pump, filters in each carb, and enything else fuel or spark related). It is my mode of transportation to work and it not running has now cost me my job and so when and if I get it repaired I can't afford to have another breakdown. Thanks again for the help.
Honda 55
Honda Super 90
Honda 160
Honda 305
Bultaco 250
Triumph T120R Bonneville
#8 08-06-2013, 03:47 PM,
(08-06-2013, 03:47 PM)mtnsurgtech Wrote: well I do appreciate all the ideas and the guide for troubleshooting would be excellent except that I cannot get the fuel filter out. The bolt and nut that hold the mount for it are unreachable to me. The nut on the right side of the bike (fuel pump side) cannot be reached by a socket or wrench so I am stuck. I think at this point ill just get it to my mech and have him change it all (fuel lines, filter, fuel pump, filters in each carb, and enything else fuel or spark related). It is my mode of transportation to work and it not running has now cost me my job and so when and if I get it repaired I can't afford to have another breakdown. Thanks again for the help.

Just to clarify, there are two fasteners which hold the fuel filter in place.... one is the one which holds the filter to the bracket. The other is one which holds the bracket to the frame of the bike. The second one is a bit out of view but IS accessible. I believe it is a 10mm and is placed just behind the hard brake lines. The lines may require being pushed up just a little to see and to get a socket on to the nut. I have used a 1/4 inch drive, short or deep socket on an extension..... disconnect the fuel hose at the petcock and at the inlet of the fuel pump, the fuel filter bracket nut comes off on the right, and the filter and bracket slides out the left side.
To see this nut may require getting on your knees and lowering your head to see past the bottom of the fuel tank.
It's there, but you will need to search for it.

Give it another look and let us know.
#9 08-06-2013, 08:55 PM,
yep you are right. It's the nut on the right side that I can't get to. Lines are disconnected at petcock and fuel pump. I have tried everything I know to get a socket or a wrench on that 10mm nut. There are two lines (the brake lines that you mention) that run down from the top that go right in front of the nut. They don't seem to be able to be moved (Im afraid to push to hard on them) at all to get some room for the nut. I dont know how hard it would be to remove the tank but that seems like the only other option at this point. I have tried regular sized socket, small socket, deep sockets of both sizes, regualr sized wrench and small sized wrench, pliers, fingers lol and nothing will fit. I dont have the technology to get to or test the PG so maybe taking it to my mech is the best thing anyway.
Honda 55
Honda Super 90
Honda 160
Honda 305
Bultaco 250
Triumph T120R Bonneville
#10 08-07-2013, 03:30 AM,
(08-06-2013, 08:52 AM)bs175dths Wrote:
(08-06-2013, 08:35 AM)PurpleGL1200 Wrote: Could be caused by fuel starvation. I would check it this way:

Tom

An excellent, logical, approach to eliminate possible culprits!

I just wanted to point out, however, our petcocks have two positions, ON and OFF. They don't have a RESERVE. We have a gas gauge with a red zone and a LOW FUEL light.
Ignoring both allows some time to think as you walk to the nearest gas station. LOL

BTW, remember the On, RESERVE and PRIME petcocks?
Prime was on those vacuum actuated petcocks and used to fill the float bowls when the bike ran out of gas.

Ahhhhh. Evolution. Smile

I assumed the Aspencade and Interstate petcocks were the same and you know what "assume" does.

Thanks
#11 08-07-2013, 05:33 AM,
(08-06-2013, 08:55 PM)bs175dths Wrote:
(08-06-2013, 03:47 PM)mtnsurgtech Wrote: well I do appreciate all the ideas and the guide for troubleshooting would be excellent except that I cannot get the fuel filter out. The bolt and nut that hold the mount for it are unreachable to me. The nut on the right side of the bike (fuel pump side) cannot be reached by a socket or wrench so I am stuck. I think at this point ill just get it to my mech and have him change it all (fuel lines, filter, fuel pump, filters in each carb, and enything else fuel or spark related). It is my mode of transportation to work and it not running has now cost me my job and so when and if I get it repaired I can't afford to have another breakdown. Thanks again for the help.

Just to clarify, there are two fasteners which hold the fuel filter in place.... one is the one which holds the filter to the bracket. The other is one which holds the bracket to the frame of the bike. The second one is a bit out of view but IS accessible. I believe it is a 10mm and is placed just behind the hard brake lines. The lines may require being pushed up just a little to see and to get a socket on to the nut. I have used a 1/4 inch drive, short or deep socket on an extension..... disconnect the fuel hose at the petcock and at the inlet of the fuel pump, the fuel filter bracket nut comes off on the right, and the filter and bracket slides out the left side.
To see this nut may require getting on your knees and lowering your head to see past the bottom of the fuel tank.
It's there, but you will need to search for it.

Give it another look and let us know.

I checked the brake lines that are in the way of that nut and they seem totally rigid to me. I will keep trying. While Im here are the gas lines that come from the pet cock to fuel filter to fuel pump anything special. Can I (if i get that far) replace with gas line from an auto parts store and can I use a fuel filter that seems similar from an auto parts store?

latest update. The nut on the back of the fuel filter holder just spins lol. In the process I took off the air filter and underneath I found gunk so at this point I think Im going to have it towed to the mech, I do appreciate all your help and ideas. You guys are a fountain of wonderful information. Thanks again.
Honda 55
Honda Super 90
Honda 160
Honda 305
Bultaco 250
Triumph T120R Bonneville
#12 08-07-2013, 05:58 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Needed--Update on my Stalling Problem--Still Got It yiterp 6 2,620 06-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Last Post: MikeM