Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thought I had it figured out..
I ran into this problem before the end of fall last year, basically parked the bike for the winter, decided to change the battery this spring, and it seemed to disappear, but lo, it has happened again.
After riding about 10 to 15 minutes, highway or in town, the engine dies, and while coasting in gear or while stopped attempting to restart, it will backfire. Last season, I would quickly kill the battery trying to restart it, but let it set for a about a half an hour, it would fire right back up. Now that I have a healthy battery, I'm able to keep attempting (in bursts) to start it, and within 5 minutes it will fire right up and drive fine.
Last year's responses indicated the probability of pulse generator problem, hence my reluctance to tear into it, but my question is whether one bad PG would cause total shutdown. When I lost a coil a couple of years ago, it would still run on two cylinders. Since it isn't fully cooling down, I have to question a heat issue.
Any ideas? I have the Poorboy conversion with a 5"+ crank pulley, naturally tightened into place with locktite and am dreading trying to get it loose to access the PGs.

I'm almost tired of fighting the tupperware, etc. Since my dad downsized from his 1500 to a Shadow 750 Aero, a VTX 1800 is looking pretty good right now.
#1 06-05-2013, 12:51 PM,
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#2 06-05-2013, 02:35 PM,
(06-05-2013, 02:35 PM)Frank Wrote: When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

I guess it's been at least three years. Worth a shot I guess. You'd think it would starve at high speeds....
#3 06-05-2013, 04:33 PM,
pg replacement shouldn't be a problem if you used blue loctite,a quick shot with an 1/2" drive air impact will do the job easily,red should not be a problem either, now if you had used red with aluminum threads and a bolt you'd really have a problem
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 06-05-2013, 05:40 PM,
I wouldn't think your pulse generator would fail, pretty simple device? Maybe your fuel pump is going out? Just have to work your way through the possibilities. I always like to start with the simple stuff
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#5 06-05-2013, 05:44 PM,
experiment, running with the gas cap off and see if it makes any difference.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#6 06-05-2013, 06:28 PM,
(06-05-2013, 05:40 PM)neoracer Wrote: pg replacement shouldn't be a problem if you used blue loctite,a quick shot with an 1/2" drive air impact will do the job easily,red should not be a problem either, now if you had used red with aluminum threads and a bolt you'd really have a problem

It's been long enough that I can't remember which I used. Hopefully it was blue, I used a friend's shop at the time.

I'll start with the fuel filter, who knows? Thanks Earl.
#7 06-06-2013, 04:12 AM,