Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
post-winterizing problem
Okay, I'm an idiot, but I don't know what's up with my '86 GL1200 Interstate. I stored it for a few months with a full tank of gas and Stabil. A situation came up, and I had to ride the bike without switching out the gas. If I'm at speed and roll on the throttle, it shudders and misses. If I roll off the throttle, it backfires. I've pulled and cleaned the plugs, with no difference. I've since gone through the gas, refilled with premium and SeaFoam. It starts fine, but if I roll on the throttle it still shudders and misses, and backfires when I roll off.

Before taking it into a shop and spending money I don't have, I'm hoping there would be something that I can do that might identify and, ideally, rectify the problem.

Thank you for the help!

Rob
"In Valor there is Hope" Tacitus
#1 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM,
The sta-bil shouldn't have any effect on it. Just sounds like the carbs have some gum still in them. Changed the fuel filter lately? I would just continue to use the Seafoam for awhile longer, note: as it melts the junk in the carbs it will tend to dirty plugs. When was the last time you installed new plugs?
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#2 05-31-2013, 03:37 PM,
(05-31-2013, 03:37 PM)Frank Wrote: The sta-bil shouldn't have any effect on it. Just sounds like the carbs have some gum still in them. Changed the fuel filter lately? I would just continue to use the Seafoam for awhile longer, note: as it melts the junk in the carbs it will tend to dirty plugs. When was the last time you installed new plugs?

You've given me hope, Frank! I've pulled the plugs and cleaned them, but not replaced them. Next stop: Honda dealer for a fuel filter (hoping they have one!) and plugs! thanks for the guidance! Rob
#3 05-31-2013, 05:07 PM,
I used sta-bil this past year and had a similar problem with everything I put it in. I ran some seafoam and it cleared up. I have used sta-bil in the past and never had a problem. The gas had a sticky feel for some reason. I am going back to using Seafoam or Lucas. As soon as I noticed the sticky feel I drained the fuel and put in fresh fuel and ran the seafoam.
1987 Interstate
#4 05-31-2013, 06:12 PM,
Thanks for the info - it's comforting to know I'm not alone, though it sucks to still have the problem! I'll try running a few more tanks with Seafoam, and see what happens. I'll post the results....
#5 05-31-2013, 06:49 PM,
(05-31-2013, 06:49 PM)RobH Wrote: Thanks for the info - it's comforting to know I'm not alone, though it sucks to still have the problem! I'll try running a few more tanks with Seafoam, and see what happens. I'll post the results....

On my 83 GL1100 Interstate I always drained a bit of gas out of each carb at the beginning of the riding season after it had been sitting for a few months. There's a small drain screw at the bottom of the float bowl on each carb for that reason. Condensation forms in the carbs during cold weather and every year it did the same thing.Once I learned this trick I faithfully drained a bit of gas out of each carb before even turning it over. Use a rag stuffed under the carbs to catch the gas and remove it before turning the key on.
Even a tiny bit of water caught in the wrong place in the jets or float bowl causes problems and backfiring. With the 85 LTD I have now it has fuel injection so no carbs.
The seafoam should take care of it but I'd still do this anyway just to make sure.
#6 05-31-2013, 08:39 PM,
I'll have to get the part number but Napa sells a fuel filter for around $3.00 that fits nicely.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#7 06-02-2013, 03:59 PM,