Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
5-Pin DIN Headset Connectors – Repairable?
fysty-1 Wrote:Thanks Wingman. You just told me what is wrong with mine. When I plug the headsets in and turn the switch to H/S nothing but squealing.
fysty-1,

Unless you have a really bad kink in your headset cable somewhere, or a melted spot, I think you will find that most of these fail at the internal connections to the back of the 5-pin DIN connector itself. That's where mine failed. Probably from the repeated pulling apart of the two connectors when unhooking the helmet lower cord. Lesson: don't pull on the cable, pull on the connector! I follow that rule, but I guess some of the POs did not.

Tricky is right about taking care to keep the ground shield wires electrically isolated. As I mentioned, particularly important is the yellow (mic) ground wire braided shield. It MUST be kept isolated from the two other headset speaker ground wire braided shields, which actually need to be tied together to effect this repair.

I really needed to get mine fixed. Every time the thing shorted and squeeled, my wife yelled and slapped me across the back of my helmet! :?
'87 GL1200A - Black/Grey
'06 GL1800 - Arctic White
'81 CB750C - Blue/Blue
U.S. Navy SWO (1967 to 1976)
#7 10-07-2008, 12:46 PM,

Messages In This Thread
Re: 5-Pin DIN Headset Connectors – Repairable? - by WingMan71 - 10-07-2008, 12:46 PM